One of the most favorite quotations of all time is “health is wealth.” This is since there is nothing more precious in life than a good health. You cannot provide for your family, you cannot earn money, you cannot work, etc. if you are unhealthy. And getting healthy is so hard now in this time, where almost all the foods that we have are all processed. But wait, there is one kind of plant that is now making it name more popular. And maybe you just ignore this in your backyards. The goosegrass of paragis. Paragis is a type of grass that grows almost everywhere, and sometimes, we don’t pay attention to it and we often consider it as a trash. After you read this article, you’ll change your mind about this grass. The health benefits of paragis are more than meets the eye.
What is Paragis or Goose Grass?
Paragis is scientifically known as the Eleusine indica. This is a plentiful weed that commonly grows in waste places as well as along the river banks, settled areas, and inroads. It is actually common to grow in the country of the Philippines.
Furthermore, this grass has gained fame just recently due to its medicinal properties as well as its availability. In fact, there are a lot of anti=inflammatory, cytotoxic, antioxidant, anti-leishmanial, pancreatic lipase inhibitory, phytoremediation, anti-diabetic, as well as anti-plasmodial properties. Moreover, it is also considered to be febrifuge, diaphoretic, anthelminthic, and diuretic.
The whole paragis plant is edible, including its seeds and roots. The roots of the plant can be eaten raw, the same goes with the young seedling of paragis, they can be raw or cooked. In fact, the grain of this grass is a scarcity food in various parts of Africa and in India.
In Africa, they use paragis as one natural way of treating various illnesses. Not only that, in a tribe in the Philippines called aeta, they use it as an insect repellant. The goosegrass is rampantly grown in the continents of Asia, Europe, and Africa. However, it may also grow in Scandinavia, Australia, and in New Zealand. Furthermore, it may now also be seen in Central America, South America, Mexico, as well as in Canada.
What are the Parts of Paragis that are Beneficial as an Herbal Medicine?
All of the parts of paragis can be composed of various chemicals and substances, which helps provide good effects on the health. In fact, the leaves of the grass have calcium oxide, chlorine, and silicon monoxide, which are beneficial in treating any illnesses. The plant itself has a protein that is useful in improving the body’s health.
Here are the different parts of the grass that can be beneficial as an herbal medicine:
- Roots: boiling the roots of paragis may help in treating various illnesses.
- Stems: to achieve more of the effective results in the health, you may boil the stem of the grass.
- Leaves: consuming the leaves of the grass when it is boiled makes it beneficial in easing various illnesses and pains. Furthermore, you may also patch the pulverized as well as minced leaves in some other conditions.
Generally, all the parts of the grass are beneficial in treating various illnesses. No need to worry about its safety because many testimonies have already told that it is so effective.
Health Benefits of Paragis or Goose Grass
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of paragis or goosegrass:
- Treats dysentery: as we know, dysentery is a type of gastroenteritis, which resultss in diarrhea with the presence of blood. If you drink boiled roots of paragis, it may help in treating dysentery.
- Treats sprain: the grass gives an instant relief from a sprain. You just need to patch some of the leaves of the plant into the skin and it will do the miracle.
- Helps cure fever: drinking boiled paragis roots may help in lowering the fever much faster and more effective.
- Treats hypertension: paragis is beneficial in lowering the risk of high blood pressure. This is by way of drinking boiled stems and leaves of paragis.
- Helps treat myoma and cyst in the ovary: those who have ovarian cyst may get help from the paragis plant. Why? Because it may help in getting rid of the cyst in an instant.
- Treats UTI or Urinary Tract Infection: this is one of the best health benefits of paragis. You may now stop taking your antibiotics, the grass will do the miracle, it in fact, immediately treat UTI.
- Helps treat diabetes: drinking the paragis tea on a regular basis may help in getting rid of diabetes.
Some other illness that can be treated by paragis:
- Infertility in women
- Liver conditions
- Bladder disorders
Undoubtedly, paragis is a nature’s wonder! So the next time you see this plant in the roads or anywhere else, make sure not to just step on it blatantly, think of the health benefits it may possess.