Wheat is one of the most common cereals that are available in the market all over the world. Furthermore, it is also in higher demands in the recent years. Why? Because the health benefits of wheat are so abundant. These health benefits are actually good for the overall improvement of the health. Read on to this article to know more about the amazing wheat.
What is Wheat?
Table of Contents
As stated earlier, wheat, if not the most, it is one of the most common cereal that is available here on Earth. It is also one of the most consumed cereal grains. Wheat mainly comes from Triticum, a type of grass that mostly grows in a number of varieties all over the world. Through the years, wheat has shown to be one of the most sustainable and most successful cereal crops in the whole wide world. It is believed to have originated in Southwestern Asia. However, today, it is grown in numerous countries all over the world.
Usually, the cultivation of wheat is done in higher latitudes. Furthermore, it is mainly used for baking products. Foods like cakes, bagels, crackers, pasta, bread, as well as muffins are the usual foods that are made from wheat. Moreover, wheat is also thought to have been one of the healthiest food items. This is since it ensures a diet that is rich in nutrients.
Research has proved that wheat is very beneficial for a healthy living. Not just that, it also considerably reduces the risks of heart diseases, which owes to its reasonably low-fat content. Furthermore, it also normalizes the blood sugar levels to those who are diabetic.
Moreover, wheat is also an enormous source of energy, because of all the parts of the grain kernel. This includes the endosperm, germ, as well as the bran. The nutrients in wheat are retained even after processing it into the flour. However, if you want to get the all-out benefits out of all the wheat products, some may advise you to choose the products that are mainly from whole wheat flour than any refined varieties of it.
Varieties of Wheat
The form of wheat that you consume is where the health benefits of wheat depend on. Although the whole wheat is astoundingly nutritious, there may be a reduction in its benefits when it goes bleaching. In fact, if you eat a bleached white flour that is obtained by processing only 60% extraction of the grain, you’ll have reduced benefits.
In the process of making that 60% abstraction flour, fiber, iron, zinc, copper, folic acid, phosphorus, calcium, vitamin E, vitamin B3, vitamin B2, and vitamin B1 may vanish. Moreover, if you buy a 100% of whole wheat products, you may get an assurance that all the nutrients of the germ and bran, the same with the endosperm.
The same as the whole wheat, the wheat germ is rich in nutrients. The wheat germ has ample amount of vitamins and minerals, particularly, in vitamin E. the wheat germ is popular to be the key source of vitamin B complex in the structure of diet all throughout the world and comprise vitamins like vitamin B6, folic acid, and thiamine. Also, it has minerals like zinc, magnesium, manganese, and more. Furthermore, the oil in the wheat germ may help in improving the strength as well as increase the lifespan.
Nutritional Value of Wheat
Wheat has an ample amount of magnesium, calcium, mineral salts, as well as some catalytic elements. Furthermore, it also has vitamin E, vitamin B, copper, iodine, zinc, manganese, silicon, arsenic, chlorine, sulfur, and potassium. These treasure of nutrients are the reason for its usage as a foundation of nourishment. They are also the ones that help in treating various conditions, just like tuberculosis, asthenia, obesity, chronic inflammation, breast cancer, gallstones, anemia, and more.
Health Benefits of Wheat
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of wheat:
- Helps prevent a heart attack: whole grain products, including wheat, is beneficial in considerably reducing the blood pressure levels, thus checking the probability of heart attack.
- Helps prevent breast cancer: foods like fruits and wheat are significant in protecting women against breast cancer. In fact, studies show that about 30 grams of wheat consumption every day may help in reducing the risk of breast cancer.
- Prevents gallstones: studies show that cereals and bread made from wheat are beneficial in preventing gallstones from forming.
- Reduces chronic inflammation: the betaine content of wheat is beneficial in reducing chronic inflammation. Therefore, it is a great idea to consume a healthy amount of wheat products to actively reduce inflammation.
- Helps prevent type 2 diabetes: there is a rich magnesium content on wheat. It is beneficial in preventing the onset of type 2 diabetes.
- Helps in improving metabolism: the trans fat and the saturated fat in the wheat are beneficial in reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Help control obesity: wheat is capable of controlling weight. However, this is only applicable to women.
Astoundingly true, wheat is not just a good ingredient to foods. its health benefits are also a manifestation that it is amazingly good for the health.