Do you know what collard greens are? Have you heard or have you tried tasting them? If you answer me yes, then it’s a good thing for you! You must have acquired all the necessary amazing health benefits of collard greens. All of these health benefits that I am saying are all for the betterment of your overall health. If you want to know more about it, feel free to give this article a read.
Collard Greens: What is this?
The collard greens is actually a green vegetable that belongs to the Acephala group that also comprises various green vegetables like cabbage and broccoli. Usually, it is found in Brazil, Portugal, and various parts of the United States. Collard greens are commonly grown for its dark-colored, huge, green edible leaves. Furthermore, it is also popular as couve in Portugal and Brazil.
Moreover, the taste of the collard green leaves is slightly bitter. Not just that, these leaves are also available all year long. However, they taste much better, most especially during the winter. In order to obtain the best texture from the collard greens, you must pluck it before they reach their own optimal height. Also, you must cook them in various ways than the new ones.
The collard greens are also part of the traditional side dish in the south. Not only that this particular vegetable supply good amounts of protein, iron, calcium, and fiber, it also provides lots and lots of some other key minerals and vitamins. Furthermore, the cooked collard greens do not need to be dull and limp. If you prepare it correctly, then the collard greens may be tasty in addition to it being nutritious.
In addition, there are some historians who refer collard greens as the dinosaurs of the vegetables. However, unluckily, these are so much alive. There are records that show that the Romans and the Greeks cultivated various species of the collard greens. The collard greens are a staple in the diet of those in the South. In fact, it is the official state vegetable in South Carolina. Actually, there are also some festivals in Savannah and Atlanta that celebrates this particular vegetable.
Nutritional Value of Collard Greens
The collard greens are actually considered to be one of the healthiest foods, which comprise of a lot of vitamins, including vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, and vitamin E. Not just that there is also a different type of vitamin B complex in it. It also has dietary fibers, sugars, carbohydrates, soluble fibers, and a number of minerals like sodium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, manganese, calcium, magnesium, and zinc.
1 serving of collard greens may contain the following
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.61 grams||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||4 grams||10%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.267 milligrams||5%|
|Vitamin A||5019 IU||170%|
|Vitamin E||2.26 milligrams||15%|
|Vitamin C||35.3 milligrams||59%|
|Vitamin K||437.1 µg||37%|
Health Benefits of Collard Greens
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of collard greens:
- Calming: collard greens help in revitalizing the sore muscles. Furthermore, they are also popular in improving the mood. Not just that, it also helps with those who have sleeping difficulty.
- Diabetes: the dietary fiber content of the collard greens are essential in maintaining a well-balanced level of blood sugar, which in turn may help in managing and averting the condition.
- Anti-ageing: since the collard greens are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, which create a barrier in between the body, as well as the free radicals. Therefore, it prevents the possible onset early aging.
- Hair growth: the vitamin E in collard greens, together with the iron and protein are essential for the growth of a shiny and thick hair. In fact, the protein in it is beneficial in building the shafts of the hair and help reduce the damage by means of strengthening the hair.
- Cholesterol: collard greens is beneficial in protecting the body against contracting heart illnesses. We know that the excessive cholesterol is frequently the cause of various heart conditions. The cholesterol builds up in the arteries, thus causing blood pressure problems.
- Prevent anemia: the collard greens are actually a good source of iron. In fact, it contains about 0.5 milligrams of iron every 100 grams. Furthermore, the folate that is present in it is beneficial for the body’s better iron absorption and building a lot more red cells in our body.
- Cancer prevention: the vitamin c in the collard greens has its own antioxidant properties, which help in fighting the oxidative damage. Adding it to your diet will help in breaking down food in some biologically active compounds, which inhibit the cancer cells growth. This is one of the best health benefits of collard greens.