All fruits have their own uniqueness, in terms of their appearance, nutrients, health benefits and more. They are undeniably different from each other. But one thing is for sure, most of them are beneficial for the health. One fruit that has a unique appearance is the star fruit. This fruit that is shaped like a star has amazing health benefits that are advantageous for the overall health status of a person. With its unique appearance, also comes unique nutrients. This article will be giving you insights about the fruit, also included are the different health benefits of star fruit. Hope you’ll enjoy this article, as much as you will enjoy star fruit.
What is Star Fruit?
The star fruit is actually a rare fruit that so rich in so many nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Furthermore, in the recent time, the fruit is gaining its popularity globally. The star fruit actually comes from a tree that is scientifically known as Averrhoa carambola. Moreover, the length of the star fruit is about 3 to 6 inches and the flesh of it is in color yellow to greenish yellow.
Furthermore, the fruit is crisp and tastes like a tart. Plus it may have about four to five seeds that are in the middle of it. Take note, these seeds are safe to eat, so no worries about it. The name of the fruit comes from its unique shape when you cut it in a cross section manner. Yes, it is in a shape of a star.
The entire fruit is edible, including its skin, which is so waxy. The tree of the star fruit is widely rampant in the countries in Southeast Asia, as well as in some other tropical areas all over the world, including Latin America and the Caribbean.
When the fruit already gets ripe, it has a slightly brown or light yellow ridges. The important thing to know is that you must avoid eating the smaller or the green fruits of the tree. This is because these have the tendency to be sour and is very unpleasant to eat. Moreover, this fruit is so popular for its nutrients as well as its high antioxidant levels.
The taste of the fruit is a combination of sweet and sour. It’s like the combination of the flavors of lemons, plums, and pineapples. The fruit itself can be useful in so many kinds of beverages, just like in smoothies, salads, juices, and blends.
Nutritional Facts of Star Fruit
Star fruit is very rich in nutrients like fiber and vitamin C. Moreover, it is also believed that the fruit is beneficial in making the body much healthier. Therefore, if you want to be healthy, choose star fruit! Well, now, let us look at the nutritional values of star fruit.
100 grams of star fruit may have:
|Nutrients||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Dietary fiber||2.8 grams||11%|
|Total carbohydrates||7 grams||2%|
|Total fat||0.3 grams||0%|
|Vitamin D 0%||Magnesium 2%||Vitamin B6 0%|
|Vitamin C 57%||Calcium 0%||Vitamin A 1%|
*Note: The %Daily Value here are actually based on a 2000-calorie diet. They can be lower or higher, depending on your needs.
Health Benefits of Star Fruit
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of star fruit:
- Helps improve the respiratory health: the anti-inflammatory, as well as the cooling agent of the fruit, is beneficial in promoting the salivation as well as cutting through phlegm and mucus. This is what makes the fruit a sought after medicine for respiratory illnesses as well as for the general health.
- Helps in detoxifying the body: since star fruit is a diuretic, it is useful for the stimulation of urination. This can be beneficial for those who are looking for detox. Moreover, this fruit is also beneficial for those who are looking for detox.
- Helps in reducing cholesterol levels: the low amount of natural fat, as well as the high level of dietary fiber in star fruit, is beneficial in managing as well as reducing the cholesterol levels.
- Helps in improving the metabolism: riboflavin, folate, and pyridoxine are high in star fruit. Therefore, the fruit is beneficial in optimizing the metabolism by way of ensuring that the important hormonal and enzymatic processes take place all over the body.
- Helps in controlling diabetes: the insoluble fiber in the star fruit is beneficial in preventing the release of glucose after eating and control the insulin levels as well. Thus making it ideal for averting diabetes.
- Helps prevent cancer: this is probably one of the best health benefits of star fruit. Research shows that the fruit has a potential In preventing cancer. This is all thanks to its dense fiber and antioxidant properties. Furthermore, the polyphenolic acid in it is also beneficial in countering the effects of free radicals in the body.
Truly, the sour taste of star fruit is not a problem, its health benefits are all enticing and are all amazing!