The taste of wasabi is the kick that fans of various Japanese cuisine crave for. It is consumed fresh in its green paste form. It is a favorite paste for sushi and some other delicacies. Well, this is not just the only benefit or use of wasabi, it is also good for the health. In fact, the health benefits of wasabi are so many and are all for the betterment of the health. Feel free to give this article a read to know more.
Wasabi: What is this?
Table of Contents
Wasabi doesn’t only have a distinct and powerful taste, but it also has prevailing effects for the health. Moreover, wasabi is a plant that is closely connected to horseradish and cabbage. Furthermore, it is a member of the Brassicaceae family in the classification of taxonomy. Commonly, it is popular as the Japanese horseradish, even though it is a slight contradiction. This is for the reason that it is not from the horseradish species.
However, it does have the strong flavor of the horseradish. Even though it has this powerful, spicy, and strong taste, it is far different from the taste of the capsaicin. This is the chemical that is present in chili peppers, which gives them their hot and spicy flavor. Though the capsaicin gives the tongue a burning sensation, the effects of wasabi on the releasing of chemical vapors and the olfactory sense, which affect the nasal passage is very astounding.
The strong taste of wasabi is quitter similar to that of the hot mustard. Furthermore, it is most usually used as one of the kitchen condiments. Because of its unique flavor is not an oil-based flavor like the chili peppers, the uncomfortable or strong sensation that it brings in the tongue does not long that long. In fact, some people consuming it say that it is actually pleasant and is so invigorating.
The smell of the wasabi that is so powerful comes from a certain part of the chemical makeup of the plant, as well as the rich levels of allyl isothiocyanate. Furthermore, the taste of wasabi, on the other hand, comes from its isothiocyanate compounds. All of these chemicals work as a security mechanism against any predators who are trying to consume the plant. However, it has not worked very well for all humans.
Uses of Wasabi Paste
Just like any other spices, wasabi may lose its flavor very quickly. This is mainly because of the evaporation of its essential oils. In order to keep the flavor as well as the aroma i=of it intact, mushing it is a good thing to do.
Here are some of the uses of the wasabi paste:
- Prepare wasabi dressing to serve it over salads.
- Add the wasabi paste to mayonnaise, as well as lemon juice to be able to prepare a very refreshing dip and server it with snap peas, asparagus, etc. with grilled seafood or meats.
- The fresh wasabi leaves and stalks may be beneficial in pickling.
- Just like in horseradish, the wasabi root may be essential in various preparations, just like in salads, dressings, dips, and sauces for chicken, meat and seafood.
- Freshly grated wasabi can be turned to a paste and be served in sashimi.
Nutritional Value of Wasabi
100 grams of raw wasabi root contains:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.63 grams||3%|
|Dietary Fiber||23.54 grams||62%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.203 milligrams||4%|
|Vitamin A||35 IU||1%|
|Vitamin C||41.9 milligrams||70%|
Health Benefits of Wasabi
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of wasabi:
- Helps in treating various respiratory illnesses: the gaseous component in wasabi is beneficial in treating various illnesses in the respiratory tract. Furthermore, it also helps in clearing the sinuses, when the gaseous properties reach the nasal ways.
- Helps in killing bacteria: the natural components in wasabi are beneficial in fighting off the bacteria in the body. In fact, in a recent study, the antibacterial properties of various vegetables and foods, wasabi is among the highest ranking foods.
- Helps in treating arthritis: wasabi is beneficial in reducing the risk of inflammation, joint swelling, as well as subdue the effects of arthritis.
- Help protect the heart health: the anti-hypercholesterolemic properties of wasabi is what makes it beneficial in reducing the high levels of it in the body.
- Helps in preventing cancer: this is most probably one of the best health benefits of wasabi. Furthermore, regular consumption of it in the diet may help in the prevention of various types of cancer. This is all thanks for its isothiocyanate antioxidants, which are beneficial in the elimination of free radicals in the body.