As we age, our body gets weaker and weaker. And there are various conditions, which make what we feel even worse. One of which is arthritis. Well, in general, arthritis is the inflammation of one or more of the joints. While it is normal to experience this particular condition, it is still necessary to learn a lot from this illness. In this article, we are going to discuss this condition thoroughly -including the possible treatments for arthritis. If you are interested in knowing more about this condition, give this article a read and you’ll get what you want. Worry less, because you will surely learn a lot in here! So sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!
Arthritis: What is this condition?
Table of Contents
Arthritis is actually the inflammation of the different joints in the body. It may affect just one joint, or even numerous joints. In the actual fact, there are over 100 different kinds of arthritis. All of which have different causes and treatment methods. The two of the most common of all the types of arthritis are the Rheumatoid Arthritis and the Osteoarthritis.
Usually, the symptoms of arthritis develop over a period of time. Nevertheless, they may also show up unexpectedly. Furthermore, arthritis is ordinarily seen in adults in the age of 65 and above. Nevertheless, it may also develop in teens, younger adults, or even in children. Moreover, arthritis is more common to happen in women than in men. Not just that, those who are overweight are also prone to this condition.
Moreover, arthritis is actually one of the conditions that have developed as one of the major cause of disability, especially among the elders. Primarily, arthritis starts with a sudden discomfort in the joints and muscles. Furthermore, as what I’ve said earlier, arthritis is one of the most common conditions that affect the majority of people here on this planet. The swelling that this particular condition brings about may lead to severe discomfort and pain. Actually, the condition is easy to diagnose as it is common. Bear this in mind, arthritis is not an ordinary condition. As a matter of fact, it is not just one problem, but instead, a complex condition that includes innumerable conditions.
Causes of Arthritis
The two different types of arthritis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, actually damage the joints in different ways.
In rheumatoid arthritis, the immune system of the body is the one that attacks the joint capsule’s lining. This is a tough membrane in the joint, which encloses all the parts of the joints. This particular lining is also called the synovial membrane. When it gets swollen and inflamed, arthritis kicks in. the process of the disease may eventually deteriorate the bone and the cartilage within the joint itself.
This is the most common of all the types of arthritis. It involves wear-and-tear damage to the cartilage of the joints –the slick, hard coating located at the end of the bones. Adequate damage may result in the direct grinding on the bone, which may cause the restriction in the movement as well as pain. This wear-and-tear may take place over numerous years, or it may be hastened by a certain infection or injury in the joints.
Symptoms of Arthritis
The most common symptoms of arthritis involve the joints. Varying on what type of arthritis you have, the symptoms may include:
- Reduced range of motion
Risk Factors of Arthritis
Here are some of the factors that may increase the risk of arthritis:
- Previous joint injury
- Family history
Treatments for Arthritis
There are actually a number of treatments for arthritis, which may help in improving the condition, and they are as follows:
- Immunosuppressant like cortisone or prednisone may help in reducing the inflammation.
- Capsaicin or menthol creams may help in blocking the transmission of pain signals from the joints.
- NSAIDs or Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs like salicylates and Ibuprofen help in controlling inflammation and pain. In fact, salicylates may help in thinning the blood, so that they may be beneficial for cautiously adding blood-thinning medications.
- Analgesics like acetaminophen or hydrocodone, are essential for the pain management, yet are not beneficial in reducing the inflammation.
There are also some natural treatments for arthritis. If you are not really a fan of using chemicals and medications, you may opt to do or trying the following:
- Daily massage. This is essential in relaxing and soothing the mind and the body. Massaging helps in the regulation of the blood circulation of the body, thus making the body more relaxed.
- Reduce emotional stress. The emotional stress is the one thing that you need to look out for. Try and keep the self, free from any stress. You can do yoga or meditation.
- Hot water bath. This is probably the simplest among all the treatments for arthritis. This is beneficial in easing the pain and the inflammation instantly.
- Potato juice. This is a great way of treating arthritis. Just add potato to your daily diet and see the effects for yourself.
- The consumption of garlic is beneficial in relieving the pain and the inflammation that comes with arthritis.