The navy beans may seem a bit unimpressive and just an ordinary type of bean, but I am telling you, it’s not! In the actual fact, these beans hold many health benefits essential for the body. This includes its ability to boost the cognition and the memory, lower the risk of diabetes, stimulate the growth, reduce the risk of cancer, promote healthy blood circulation, optimize the digestion, and protect the heart. These health benefits of navy beans will further be discussed later in this article. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!
Table of Contents
The navy beans are generally legumes. The name that it has actually come from the very fact that they were a staple food of the United States Navy way back the 20th century. The US Navy, as I’ve said, used the beans as their staple food for a much healthier diet for their sailors.
If you have ever come across a tiny, white bean in a bean salad or a soup, where you can’t place, that –that is a navy bean. In the actual fact, the bean is simply of a different class of all the most common beans that are available all over America. Scientifically speaking, they call the navy beans as the Phaseolus vulgaris.
Moreover, the beans often grow on the bushes or in vines. These beans are tremendously famous all throughout the world. Not just that, they are also not praised for their own ease of growth and versatility, but for their nutritive value as well.
In today’s day and time, you may find the navy beans from all over the world. It is in a wide variety of cultivars, and they are extremely easy to grow and very hardy.
Due to the fact that they are high in protein and nutritive value content, they have now become one of the staple foods of various cultures. Furthermore, you may also store this for a long period of time. It is available in canned variety, which doesn’t lose all its nutritional value, unlike any other legumes or vegetables. Even though all the beans may look the same, which is not true. One proof is the navy beans, which possess some unique chemical components, including phosphatidylserine.
100 grams of raw and mature seeds of navy beans may possess the following essential nutrients:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1.50 grams||7.5%|
|Dietary Fiber||15.3 grams||40%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.744 milligrams||15%|
|Vitamin A||0 IU||0%|
|Biochanin A||0.02 milligrams|
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of navy beans:
- Helps in keeping the blood circulation better. It is important to keep the blood flowing normally in the body. This is essential for the body organ system’s oxygenation and overall normal function. One of the key components of the red blood cells is the iron. Without a proper intake of this mineral, the circulation may suffer. This will make you more susceptible to anemia.
- Helps in the growth and repair. The high content of protein in navy beans is essential for the steady stream for the growth of new bones, blood vessels, muscles, tissues, and cells. The protein is also essential for the normal development and the repair of the damaged areas in the body.
- Antioxidant properties. The manganese is one of the key cofactors in various antioxidant enzymes, which may prevent the spread and impact of the free radicals. This may be beneficial in lowering the risk of cancer as well as some other chronic illnesses.
- Helps in improving the digestion. The high amount of fiber in the navy beans is a key component to a good gastrointestinal health. It has the capacity to bulk up the stool and prevent the symptoms of diarrhea and constipation.
- Helps in preventing diabetes. The navy beans, as we said earlier is oozing with fiber. This is what makes it essential in preventing diabetes. Because of its capability to stabilize the blood sugar level and improve nutrient absorption, it makes it a good means of preventing the onset of diabetes.
- Beneficial for the heart health. The folate and magnesium in navy beans are beneficial in making the heart protected and strong. This is one of the best health benefits of navy beans.
If you’re using canned beans, make sure that they are properly rinsed and well-drained before you use them. On the other hand, if you are using the dried variant, soak them first before using them. You may rinse the beans, cover them with cold water, and let it soak for a whole night at a room temperature. Drain and then rinse it before using.
There are many other ways of cooking the navy beans. Nevertheless, regardless of how you cook it, you will still get the health benefits of navy beans that you want to gain.