Have you tasted mung beans before? Well, these are popularly called the green grams. Even though it is the often touted name of the beans, it is also known for some other names, including Moong beans and golden gram. The mung beans are widely used in the United States, Europe, and Asia. They use it for a lot of purposes. If you want to learn more about the amazing health benefits of mung beans, give this article a read! You will be guaranteed to learn a lot from this. So sit back, relax, and enjoy!
What is Mung Beans?
Table of Contents
The mung beans are a kind of small, green legume that is of the very same plant family as the lentils and peas. The mung beans are a high source of protein, antioxidants, fiber, and phytonutrients. Even though in most parts of the world, the legume is not that popular, the mung beans have lots and lots of health benefits to give.
Although the mung beans may be new to most of the people in the United States, they have been a huge part of the traditional Ayurvedic diets in the country of India for thousands and thousands of years. Furthermore, the mung beans are considered as “one of the most cherished foods”, especially in the ancient Indian practice that has been a traditional form of medication. Nowadays, the mung beans are starting to pop up in various protein powders, canned soups, as well as in restaurant meals.
As you will come to learn, the mung beans are one of the healthiest plant protein sources there is in this world. Most especially if you consider the number of some other nutrients they have in addition to amino acids. There are some organizations that say the mung beans have various biological activities, these include the following:
- Antitumor effects
- Antihypertensive effects
- Lipid metabolism accommodation effects
- Anti-diabetic effects
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Antimicrobial effects
- Antioxidant effects
Nutritional Value of Mung Beans
100 grams of raw, matured mung beans may contain the following essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||1.15 grams||6%|
|Dietary Fiber||16.3 grams||43%|
How to Use Mung Beans?
Germination or sprouting is often thought to have the capacity to improve the medicinal and nutritional qualities of the mung beans. Furthermore, it also makes them much easier to tolerate and digest. Therefore, always try consuming sprouted mung beans if you can.
Recent studies suggest that the mung beans sprout have more apparent biological activities and more abundant valuable metabolites than the un-sprouted beans. Remember, sprouting is essential to the biosynthetic enzymes in becoming activated during the germination stages. This just means that the nutrition of the mung beans become more and more absorbable by the body.
Whether you use the mung beans or the sprouted ones, you will still get the nutrients that it has. These nutrients are essential for the body’s development and growth. Nonetheless, the sprouted ones contain more and more nutrients –bear that in mind.
Health Benefits of Mung Beans
Here are some of the most astonishing health benefits of mung beans:
- Helps in preventing cancer. The mung beans are beneficial in keeping the free radicals under control. As we know, the free radicals are the ones that can be an outcome of stress, pollution, and many other factors, which may cause various illnesses, including cancer. The mung beans are a natural suppressor of these free radicals. Meaning, it is a good option for preventing the onset of cancer.
- Helps in increasing the mental focus and alertness. Those who are suffering from concentration problems must consume mung beans. This is essential in ensuring the optimum oxygen supply to all of the parts of the body.
- Helps in regulating the blood pressure levels. The mung beans are proven to control and regulate fat. Furthermore, the presence of magnesium in it makes it a very strong blood pressure regulator.
- Helps in making the bones stronger. The mung beans may be beneficial as a natural supplement. It is capable of maintaining the bone health and may keep you safe from any fractures as well. This is one of the best health benefits of mung beans.
- Helps in controlling the cholesterol level. Heart disease is very common nowadays –we know that. To prevent or control this, you may take mung beans. The mung beans may help in increasing the digestive and the metabolic rate of the body.
- Provides anti-aging benefits. The mung beans are a powerful anti-aging agent. The copper in it is what makes this possible. This reduces the presence of wrinkles, age lines, and age spots. The regular usage can make you look 10 years younger than you age.