Do you notice that your waistline is expanding? Other than the fact that it is an indication that you already need to lose weight, it may also be a sign of some other conditions. One condition that may cause the enlarging of the waistline is the ascites. This is a condition, which is caused by the austere liver condition, it may cause a buildup in the abdominal area, thus making the belly swell and bulge. One good thing about this is that there are various treatments for ascites, which are all beneficial for the betterment of the condition. Give this article a read to learn more about this condition. We also included the symptoms, causes, and much other information about this illness.
Ascites: What is this condition?
Table of Contents
The organs in the abdominal area are contained in a sac or a membrane, which is known as the peritoneum. Usually, the peritoneal cavity comprises just a small amount of fluid, even though in women this may vary depending on their menstrual cycle. Furthermore, ascites is a term that is used in denoting the increased fluid levels in the peritoneal cavity –this situation is not normal at all.
The ascites is a condition on which there’s a buildup of fluid in the abdominal area or the peritoneal cavity. This may lead to inflammation in the spleen, legs, and arms. Furthermore, when the fluid goes through the lungs, it can make the breathing difficult. The ascites is precisely known as the peritoneal cavity fluid, hydroperitoneum, and peritoneal fluid excess.
Moreover, there are various conditions, which may cause the fluid to accrue and the reasons on which the ascites happens may be different for each of the diseases. Cancer, which spreads to the peritoneum may cause direct leakage of fluid, while the other illnesses may cause an excessive accumulation of sodium and water in the body. This particular fluid may leak into the peritoneal cavity eventually.
Generally, the ascites is because of the liver disease as well as the inability of that organ to produce sufficient protein in order to retain the fluid in the bloodstream. As well as the impediment to flow through the scraped cirrhotic liver. Usually, the bloodstream through the oncotic pressure apprehends water. The pull of the proteins is what keeps the water molecules from leaking out of the capillary blood vessels in the surrounding tissues. As the liver disease progresses, the ability of the liver to manufacture protein reduces.
Ascites: What causes it?
The ascites actually takes place when the pressure accumulates in the liver’s veins, and it doesn’t function as it should. These two problems commonly are due to some other illnesses, just like cancer, kidney failure, heart failure, cirrhosis, and/or an infection.
The pressure in the veins actually blocks the flow of blood in the liver. over time, this will keep the kidney from removing the excess salt from the body. This, will, in turn, cause the fluid to build up.
Ascites: What are the symptoms?
The ascites commonly comes with the feeling of fullness, rapid weight gain, and the expanding of the belly. Some other symptoms of ascites include the following:
- A hernia
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling in the ankles and legs
- Shortness of breath
If you experience any of these symptoms, you must see your doctor. Often, it is a sign of liver failure and happens most frequently with the cirrhosis.
Treatments for Ascites
The major treatments for ascites include bed rest and salt-limited diet plans. Aside from these two treatments, drugs or diuretics are also used for the excretion of more water from the kidneys. The therapeutic paracentesis process is used in removing the fluid through the insertion of a thin needle or a tube in order to remove the excess fluid from the abdominal area. The LVP or Large Volume Paracentesis is one of the best treatments for ascites, which is essential in draining large quantities of fluid from the body of the patient. For this particular treatment, there is a need to stay in the hospital for a short period of time.
Natural Treatments for Ascites
Here are some of the natural treatments for ascites:
- Epsom Salt Bath. This is great for the detoxification of the body and soothing the swelling.
- Sleep properly. Try to avoid sleeping during the daytime. You need to have a fixed time in going to bed at night and wake up early in the morning.
- Exercise regularly. Exercising helps the abdominal muscles to develop properly.
- Avoid alcohol consumption. Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages as it is one of the main causes of the condition.
- Regularly massage. This is essential in draining the excess fluid in the body.
- Avoid excess water. Consuming excessive amount of water may add swelling to the condition and may cause weight gain. Replace water with buttermilk, carrot juice, or milk.
- Bitter gourd. Drink fresh bitter gourd thrice to get a relief from ascites.
- Horse gram. You can drink this to treat the ascites. Usually, it takes about 3 weeks to see the changes in the condition.
- This is one of the best natural treatments for ascites. This will surely be a great help in improving the condition.