Oregano has been known to be one of the best treatments for a cough. Well, there is no denying that it really is effective for that matter. Nevertheless, what other people don’t actually know is that it is also beneficial for the overall health. You don’t believe me, don’t you? Well, give this article a read and you will get to know more about this plant. You will also get to know about the different health benefits of oregano. So sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!
What is Oregano?
Oregano, as what is mentioned earlier, is a popular herb, which many people think of as an herbal medicine. Nevertheless, this is also a spice that is beneficial in enhancing the flavor of various foods. Furthermore, scientifically, it is what they call Origanum vulgare. Moreover, oregano is native to Southwest Eurasia as well as in the Mediterranean region.
The oregano has been a valuable part of both the alternative medicine treatments and culinary for thousands of years. In the actual fact, the oregano is closely in connection to mint and has the same genus as the Mentha. For this very same reason, both oregano and mint share a lot of similar organic components. Not just that, they also have a lot of similarities when it comes to the health benefits. The leaves of the oregano are the most beneficial part of the herb. Nonetheless, the flavor and the aroma of the leaves are way greater when you let it dry. This is what makes it different from some other herbs.
In the herbal remedies and folk medicine from Egypt and Australia, the oregano has established a popularity as a genuine treatment for various health conditions. Furthermore, there are lots of potent active ingredients in oregano that is well researched. Not just that, their effects on the body are also redundant.
The oregano oil is actually an astoundingly concentrated form of the oregano and is beneficial in treating many conditions. This is since it is potent, yet people must always dilute it. In the culinary application where it is always used, it can be beneficial as a flavoring for curries, sauces, soups, and so many other delicacies.
Nutritional Content of Oregano
Oregano contains various important nutrients.
Actually, one teaspoon of dried oregano may have:
- 2 micrograms of vitamin K
- 33 milligrams of vitamin E
- 23 milligrams of potassium
- 09 milligrams of manganese
- 5 grams of magnesium
- 66 milligrams of iron
- 29 milligrams of calcium
- 8 grams of fiber
- 5 calories of energy
Moreover, it is also a rich source of dietary oxidant, which is beneficial in protecting the cells against the effects of free radicals in the body. Not just that, it is also beneficial in improving the ability of the body to fight various infections.
Health Benefits of Oregano
Here are some of the most astonishing health benefits of oregano:
- Helps in increasing energy levels. Through the improvement of the functionality of the metabolism, the body gets rejuvenated and gets energized. Furthermore, the increase in the circulation, because of the presence of iron and increase in the levels of hemoglobin, it helps in fully oxygenating the muscles and the cells of the body, thus increasing the strength and energy.
- Helps in improving the bone health. The manganese, iron, and calcium content of the oregano are essential minerals for the bone health. These are what makes the herb essential for those who want to have protection against osteoporosis.
- Helps in detoxifying the body. The oregano is rich in various nutrients. With its high content of fiber, vitamin K, iron, calcium, and manganese, as well as some other organic compounds, it is beneficial in detoxifying the body.
- Helps in improving the heart health. In the actual fact, the oregano is a natural form of omega-3 fatty acid. This is what makes it beneficial in improving the heart health. Moreover, the omega 3s are beneficial in rebalancing the cholesterol levels and reduce the inflammation of the cardiovascular system.
- Helps in digestion. The fiber content of oregano is beneficial for the digestive system. This is since it helps in increasing the bulk of the stool and stimulate the peristaltic motion that moves the food to the digestive tract.
- Helps in boosting the immune system. The thymol and rosemarinic acid in oregano are both powerful antioxidant, which is beneficial in reducing the oxidative stress. Adding oregano in your diet is essential in improving the immunity and keeping the body safe from various dangerous silent killers.