Cassava is one of those fruits that are rich in so many nutrients and are actually effective in getting rid of hunger. This root is actually native to the regions of Paraguay and Brazil. In fact, it is one of their staple food there. The same with those who are in Africa, Thailand, and Indonesia. This is since the cassava or manioc is rich in starch, thus making it a good provider of energy that is beneficial in fueling the active lifestyle. Not only that, the health benefits of manioc are more than just about giving energy or suppressing hunger. There are more to it. If you want to know more about it, feel free to read on to this article.
What is Manioc (Cassava)?
Nowadays, the common source of carbohydrate in the world is rice. The best substitute of rice is Manioc (Cassava) the Manioc plant is a plant from Euphorbiaceae that originated in South America.
The carbohydrates content of manioc is high while it’s low in glycemic index. Naturally, manioc or the cassava is gluten-free. In fact, it has saponins that are beneficial in easing the inflammation and the balance of human gut flora as well as the minerals, which perform a lot of important functions all throughout the body
Tapioca is actually from manioc or cassava root. When it is a flour, it has many uses in foods. Furthermore, it is also one of the best replacements to wheat, even for patients with the celiac condition.
Nutrition Facts of Manioc (Cassava)
Nutrition Value per 100 grams
|Principle||Nutrient Value||Percentage of RDA|
|Dietary Fiber||1.8 grams||4%|
|Total Fat||0.28 grams||1%|
|Vitamin A||13 IU||<1%|
|Vitamin C||20.6 milligrams||34%|
|Vitamin E||0.19 milligrams||1%|
|Vitamin K||1.9 µg||1.5%|
Health Benefits of Manioc
The health benefits of manioc are mainly divided into the skin, hair and the overall health, of course.
Skin Benefits of Manioc
- Helps in removing scars and spots: the starch water from cassava are beneficial in healing the wounds as well as the scars.
- Helps in hydrating the skin: manioc is beneficial in hydrating the skin tone and make it much softer and smoother.
- Great face mask: manioc, when used as a facial mask, can help in improving the texture as well as the overall condition of the skin.
- Smoothens and brightens the complexion: the manioc or cassava peel are beneficial as a skin
Hair Benefits of Manioc
- Helps provide nourishment: the cassava or manioc plant is beneficial in nourishing the hair. Furthermore, it is also beneficial in treating damaged hair.
- Helps in controlling hair fall: cassava is effective in nourishing the hair from its roots up to the tips. Also, it is beneficial in hydrating the hair and controlling hair fall.
- Helps in growing the hair faster: the leaves, as well as the roots of manioc, is beneficial in growing the hair much faster than the usual.
Overall Health Benefits of manioc
- Helps in treating a fever: steaming the cassava leaves can be effective in treating fever. To do this and to get the best result out of it, you must make a decoction from it.
- Good for the eyes: the vitamin A content of the manioc is beneficial in improving the eye health. Moreover, it is also beneficial in preventing the possible blindness or even the poor eyesight in the near future.
- Help treat diarrhea: the fruit of the cassava is beneficial in treating digestive disturbances, including diarrhea.
- Helps in preventing cancer: the vitamin B17 content of manioc is beneficial in stimulating the red blood cells content, which is beneficial in preventing cancer. This is actually one of the best health benefits of manioc.
- Helps in treating headaches: making a juice out of the fresh cassava root or leaf can be beneficial in getting rid of the disturbing headaches.
- Good for the digestive system: the fiber content of manioc is very high. Thus making it beneficial for the better absorption of toxins, which may enter the intestines. By this way, the digestive health gets more improved.
- Helps in losing weight: the high fiber content of the manioc is beneficial in shedding off that excess fat on the body. moreover, it is also beneficial in making you feel full longer than the usual.
Truly manioc is an extraordinary plant that brags so many benefits for the skin, the hair, and for the overall health. However, you must not eat of it in excess amount, for just like any other foods when eaten excessively, it may cause some side effects. So if you want to be healthier, choose manioc!