Who wouldn’t love to drink a glass of cold lemon on a summer day? Even just a few sups of it will surely recharge and revitalize you. The lemon really has many uses and benefits. Not only that, the lemon balm is also beneficial for us human. The health benefits of lemon balm are numerous. If you want to know more about it, continue reading on to this article.
What is Lemon Balm?
Table of Contents
Lemon balm is actually a perennial herb that is part of the mint family. The plant doesn’t really grow that much tall, and it has a yellow flower, which blooms in summer and spring months. Its leaves may be yellow-green to dark green in color –depends on the climate and type of soil it is planted.
The leaves of it have an amazingly mild lemon aroma, which is used in making medicines. Furthermore, the lemon balm alone is used as part of some various multi-herb product combinations.
Lemon balm is beneficial in treating various digestive conditions, including colic, vomiting, intestinal gas, bloating, and upset stomach. Furthermore, it also helps in relieving pain like a toothache, headache, and menstrual cramps. Additionally, it also helps in treating various mental disorders, including melancholia and hysteria.
There are some people who believe that the lemon balm has calming effects. This is the reason why they use it for issues like restlessness, sleep problems, and anxiety. Furthermore, it is also useful as a treatment for Alzheimer’s disease, ADHD, insect bites, tumors, sores, high blood pressure, rapid heartbeat, and swollen airways.
Uses of Lemon Balm
Since the health benefits of lemon balm are so many, it is not a surprise that there really are a lot of uses of this lemon balm. This includes the following:
- Aromatic: the lemon balm may be useful in various aromatic forms. This includes when the essential oil is being added to the aromatherapy diffuser.
- Topical use: important note to this is that the topical use may cause an allergic reaction. There are some people who use the lemon balm in their creams or sometimes in the form of essential oil. This is primarily because it is beneficial in reducing the inflammation and it even helps in soothing pain when used in small quantities.
- Diet: the lemon balm can be a garnish for some fish dishes. Furthermore, it can also be blended into some organic ice creams for some lemon burst. Plus, the leaves of it can be used in brewing into some outstanding tea –which is beneficial for a better sleep.
- Perfume: the powerful aroma of the lemon balm is very famous in the industry of perfumery. This is since the lemon balm can easily be with so many different scents.
- Toothpaste: the lemon balm can be with any various things –including toothpaste. This is beneficial in giving further protection to the moth against any bacterial infections.
Health Benefits of Lemon Balm
The following are some of the best health benefits of lemon balm:
Helps in boosting the immunity. The lemon balm is beneficial in boosting the levels of immunity. The rosemarinic and caffeic acids present in it also have antiviral and antibacterial properties, thus it is ideal for the health.
Helps in improving the digestive health. Drinking lemon balm tea and its fusion is beneficial in improving the digestive health. furthermore, the essential oil that is present in the lemon balm also helps in treating gastrointestinal conditions like colic, upset stomach, and flatulence.
Helps in countering the damages from radiation exposure. In treating illnesses like cancer, the exposure to radiation becomes a must. However, those who undergo radiation exposure may have to experience some side effects afterward.
Acts as an antioxidant. As we know, harmful free radicals may damage the health. to get rid of it, antioxidants are a must. Since the lemon balm has high levels of antioxidants, it is beneficial in getting rid of the harmful free radicals in the body.
Helps in treating insomnia and anxiety. When you use the herb in conjunction with some other herbs, the effect of it will be much better. Actually, a clinical trial that is carried out by some research institutes suggests that the herb is effective in treating anxiety and insomnia.
Helps in treating dementia. Researches show that the lemon balm is beneficial in treating dementia and some other illnesses related to memory loss.
Helps in treating cold sores. The antiviral properties of the lemon balm help in treating cold sores. Furthermore, the lemon balm cream is also good for the genital and oral herpes, getting rid of the illness faster.
Side Effects of Lemon Balm
The lemon balm is really safe when you use it in food amounts. Furthermore, it is also safe to those adults who use it in medical amounts for short term. However, just like some other foods and drugs, the lemon balm when used excessively may cause some side effects. Some of its side effects may be wheezing, dizziness, abdominal pain, vomiting, and nausea.