Living in the colder parts of Mediterranean Basin has its perks, especially when you are into growing perennial plants and vegetables. One of the healthiest of these is artichoke green globe, which is an attractive flower and vegetable that has some surprising effects on the body. Keep reading to learn more!
Attractive Appearance with Many Health Benefits
Aside from its health benefits, artichoke green globe is sometimes sold for ornamental purposes due to its huge flowerhead. The diameter of the flower is approximately 5 inches, and the plant grows to bout 4 feet tall. The flower bud look like triangles arranged in a layer to form a globe.
Scientifically known as Cynara cardunculus var scolymus, this artichoke was first cultivated in England in the 16th century and in North America in the 19th century. Because of its health benefits, it has gained popularity across Europe, particularly in Italy and Spain.
The leaves of the plant can be used as an herbal medicine, while the heart of it is used for culinary purposes, where it can be steamed or eaten whole. You can tell which variety you’re getting based on its colour.
Astonishing Health Benefits of Artichoke Green Globe
The flower heads of artichoke green globe contain more antioxidants than any other vegetable. It is believed to prevent cancer, improve the appearance of the skin and make us look younger. It’s low calorie and fat content also makes it a good addition to our diet.
- Dietary Fiber
This vegetable has dietary fiber, which helps patients suffering from constipation and digestive issues. Fiber can also reduce the risk of developing colon cancer by fighting toxic substances.
- Folic Acid
Artichoke Green Globe is rich in folic acid, which is particularly good for pregnant women because it helps with the development of the fetus.
- Vitamin C
Artichoke green globe contains Vitamin C, which is good for the immune system and builds our resistance to common colds and the flu.
- Vitamin K
The food’s vitamin K content helps with bone development and is a means of treating Alzheimer’s. Vitamins like niacin and thiamin and great for supporting metabolic function, while other compounds and the vegetable help detoxify and improve our liver and kidney function. Put simply, it’s great for curing hangovers!
- Potassium, Copper, Iron, and Phosphorus
This artichoke is a great source of minerals, especially potassium, which helps maintain cardiovascular health and blood pressure. The copper and iron also helps with the production and synthesis of red blood cells, and the phosphorus is important for cognitive function.
Other Health Benefits of Artichoke Green Globe
Studies show that this vegetable improves bloating and keeps cholesterol at healthy levels, but there are some side effects you need to look out for, including:
- Liver disease and gallbladder disease: People with these diseases should keep an eye out for bad reactions, as this plant can stimulate bile production and affect the liver.
- Allergies: Patients who are allergic to other leaf extracts should practice caution. Any signs like itching or difficulty breathing need to be treated immediately.
- Diuretic Effects: Since this artichoke stimulates the kidneys, it causes more frequent urination.
- Breastfeeding: It has not been confirmed if the vegetable is healthy for babies who are being breastfed.
- Bile Duct Blockage: According to research, this food increases the flow of bile and block the bile duct.
- Intestinal Gas: It was reported by consumers that they experienced intestinal gas, so you should consumed artichoke green globe in moderation.
- Rashes and Redness: If you use it topically, artichoke green globe might cause rashes, redness and swelling, but it subsides after a couple of hours.