In today’s time and age, digestive issues are quite common. This is simply because of changing lifestyle, erratic food habits, and negligence. One of the most common digestive issues is constipation. Even though we don’t like to admit it, we all have experienced it at least once in a lifetime. For some people, it is a rarity, but for some, it is a frequently occurring problem. In both cases, it is a terrible problem that can cause great discomfort and issues.
Many of us rely on home remedies to find instant relief. While many natural remedies are an excellent way to find relief, but some may take a lot of time. Nonetheless, just a simple touch of fingers can help you find instant relief even for the most chronic constipation. Yes, you heard it right! Acupressure points to treat constipation will help you find relief to a great extent without the need for laxatives and regular medication. Let’s learn more about it.
What is Constipation? Common Causes and Symptoms
Constipation is a common digestive issue where people find it difficult to pass feces, even experience pain, at times. Bowel movements are not regular, or it may occur less than 3 times a week. Emptying bowel becomes very painful and hard. There are several reasons for constipation to occur. It can occur to people of all ages, from infant to an elderly. Many people don’t take this problem too seriously. Truth be told! It can be very discomforting and can cause a lot of anxiety and stress. It is good to have your body functioning properly and performing important processes at the right time.
What are the common causes of constipation? There are numerous reasons for constipation. Some of the common ones include,
- Lack of physical activity
- Low water intake
- Low fiber intake
- Changes in lifestyle
- More of dairy consumption
- Some medications like antidepressants
- Medical conditions
- Too much intake of antacids
- Under-active thyroid,
- Avoiding the urge to pass stool.
Common symptoms of Constipation
Some of the symptoms of constipation are,
- An Infrequent bowel movement, less than 3 times a week
- Difficulty passing stool
- Abdominal pain
- Bloated stomach
- Painful bowel movement
- and loss of appetite.
Effect of Acupressure on Constipation
One of the most natural ways to get rid of constipation is acupressure. As per the philosophy, our body has specific acupoints that are found at various parts of the body among the channels or meridians in the body. These channels allow life energy flow and connect various vital organs together. When there is a blockage in the energy flow, imbalance in the body occurs and we suffer from ailments. Therefore, stimulating these acupoints with fingers can help in healing. Similarly, when these points are stimulated with fingers it can even help in treating constipation and regularize bowel movements. The best part is that acupressure can be performed anytime and anywhere, and it can help you find relief instantly. Here are a few effective acupressure points for constipation.
- Li4: This point is originally known as Large Intestine 4 is one of the most effective acupressure points for constipation and other health issues. It is commonly known as the Joining valley point and it lies on your hand, in the web of the flesh between thumb and index finger. This point can be gently activated by pressing it with the thumb. You must massage this point on both hands for its many benefits. Apart from constipation, it helps you find relief from chronic pain, toothache, fight against allergies and boosts immunity. Pregnant women are advised against using this point because it can cause contractions in the uterus.
- Pericardium 6: It is also known as PC6 or Inner Gate Point. It is situated on your arm, four finger widths apart from the wrist, in the tendon. It can be stimulated by pressing it with fingertips softly. Apply pressure on each arm for one minute, each. Besides constipation, use this point to heal upset stomach, motion sickness, headache, nausea, carpal tunnel syndrome, asthma, and chest pain.
- Stomach 36: ST36 is the most important acupressure points for digestive issues. It helps in finding fast relief for intestinal and digestive disorders. Massaging this point aids in easing the digestion process and improves the immune system. This point is commonly referred to as Three Mile Point. It is located close to the kneecap. You can find it by placing four fingers below and one finger on the outer region of the shinbone on your leg. To find the right place of this point lift your foot up and down and you shall feel a muscle flexing. This acupressure point treats constipation as well as respiratory issues like asthma, post menstrual syndrome, trouble sleeping patterns, depression and other neurological issues.
- CV 12: CV12 is short for Conception Vessel 12 and it is an important acupressure point to treat constipation. Massaging this point gives instant relief to constipation issues and heal other digestive issues. It is situated at the center of our body, from where it gets its second name Center of Power. It is located exactly at the midpoint of the body. You can find it halfway from the breastbone and halfway above the belly button. Do not press this point too much. 2 minutes continuously is enough.
When using this acupressure point for constipation, do it empty stomach. Anyone suffering from heart disease or cancer must avoid pressing this point. And pregnant women are advised against pressing this point, too. Nonetheless, this point has several benefits for treating stomach and digestive issues and emotional stress. It is also an effective pressure point for healing problems like jaundice and nausea.
Apart from these constipation pressure points, you can also massage Li11 or Large Intestine 11 and CV6 or Constipation Vessel 6. Along with these pressure points, it is suggested to regulate food habits and eat a balanced fiber-rich diet.