Have you heard of the vestibulodynia before? Well, actually, this is a condition, which affects women of all ages. It may cause some kind of pain that may impact the self-esteem, work, relationships, as well as the daily ability of the body to function. Therefore, we can say that it is something that all people must know about. If you haven’t heard of this before, I tell you -you are not alone. This condition often goes misdiagnosed or even unrecognized, so much that there is no exact number of people who are suffering from it. Read on up until the end of this article and get to learn more about the facts about vestibulodynia.
Vestibulodynia: What is this condition?
Vestibulodynia is actually an origin of a sexual pain that occurs in the nonexistence of infection or a particular skin condition. In the case of vestibulodynia, vulva’s vestibule area produces discomfort or pain when being touched, if you don’t know, the vestibule area of the vulva is the area around the vaginal entrance. You can easily see this if you pull back the labia gently.
Vestibulodynia is also known as the triggered vulvodynia. This means that it is a kind of vulval pain that is confined to the vulval vestibule and just happens when you touch the area,
Moreover, vestibulodynia means that several interactions a day like wearing tight clothing, having a pap smear test, inserting a tampon, and having sex might be so painful. However, a lot of doctors are still not aware of it. Further, a lot of people may confuse the symptoms of this condition with some other problems like thrush, psychological issues, and vaginismus.
Causes of Vestibulodynia
There is actually a long list, which may result in the condition. Knowing what’s exactly causes the vestibulodynia will be beneficial in determining how to treat the issue. Some of the most typical types of PVD are as follows:
- Hypertonic pelvic Floor Vestibulodynia. In this type, the pain starts as a response to the pelvic floor muscles outstanding in a state of chronic high tension. Further, the high muscle tone reduces the blood oxygen and flow to the entrance of the vagina, hence creating a hypertensive kind of vestibule.
- Acquired Neuroproliferate Vestibulodynia. In this type, the pain starts as an austere allergic reaction to a particular topical medicine or a pain. This is caused by an austere yeast infection. Those who have a history of having sensitive skin or has a lot of allergic reactions typically fall into this particular category.
- Congenital Neuroproliferate Vestibulodynia. In this type, the pain actually comes from the so many nerve endings in the introitus. This particular condition will always be present since women are born with it. Typically you can notice it first when you first attempt to insert a tampon or first sexual intercourse. Those who have this kind of condition have never experienced pain-free sexual intercourse.
- Hormonally Mediated Vestibulodynia. The pain in this type of the condition occurs due to the hormonal imbalance or deficiency. This is actually a very common result of a long-term birth control pill use, medications for endometrial cancer or endometriosis, breastfeeding, and menopause.
One more thing about the facts about Vestibulodynia is that: while the abovementioned facts are the common causes of it, additional causes may include:
- Frequent intake of antibiotics
- Sexual trauma
- Hypersensitivity to chronic yeast infections
- Genetic factors, which make the vulva poorly respond to chronic inflammation.
Important Facts about Vestibulodynia: The Treatments
One of the most important facts about Vestibulodynia that you need to know is the possible treatments for Vestibulodynia. Due to the fact that the condition is a chronic pain syndrome, a lot of types of treatments may be used. These include the techniques to managing stress, psychological therapies. These help women in dealing with emotions and thoughts that comes with pain, and certain treatments for pain.
Furthermore, women might also benefit from a certain type of psychological therapy known as MBCT or mindfulness-based cognitive therapy. This particular therapy involves focusing on what’s happening in the moment. They typically do this in small groups and is actually comes with some important information. This information are regarding chronic pain, stress, provoked Vestibulodynia, and sexuality.
In the case that women are ready to attempt sex, they may apply anesthetic creams or anti-inflammatory creams to the area. You may actually use it twice a day. Furthermore, doctors teach women on the proper way of applying these creams. Most especially on sensitive areas, where they are more efficient.
The avoidance of the possible irritants like tight jeans, panty liners, bubble bath, and soap, may help in the prevention of the irritations. Further, this might also make the symptoms even worse. Various exercises for the pelvic muscles, general relaxation exercises, as well as yoga may help in relaxing the pelvic muscles.
If a woman having provoked Vestibulodynia to experience a recurring yeast infection, they may be given a long-term treatment. This is in order to prevent the infections. Moreover, there is also a surgical treatment for the condition. This removes the hypersensitive nerve endings, yet nerves may regrow and the pain may recur.