Aside from sweating, the underarm area seldom gives us, people any trouble, and actually many of us forget all about it. Unluckily, the skin in the underarm area is actually very sensitive and is vulnerable to a lot of problems like pimples, ingrown hair, infections, pigmentation, and rashes. There are a lot of things that may happen in this area of the body. However, the most common that they complain about by both women and men is the pigmentation or the discoloration of the underarm. Good thing, there are a lot of home remedies for dark underarm that are not just present in your homes but are also guaranteed effective. If you want to learn more about it, continue reading on to this article.
Dark Underarms: What is this?
Usually, the condition of having a dark underarm are common to those who are suffering from type 2 diabetes. This is because the insulin that they take reacts with their skin and produces more melanin, causing the skin to get dark. Darkening of the underarm is a condition that a lot of people experience nowadays. Most people get embarrassments when they talk about their own underarms.
The underarms area, as we know is one of the places in our body that are very prominent to body odor. Having dark underarms may be described as the dark discoloration of the underarm skin comparable to any parts of our body.
Generally, the darkening of the underarm isn’t a medical condition or a disease. This is just simply the dimming of the skin –just like the sun tans. This is what other people get when they get exposure to ultraviolet rays excessively.
However, in some cases, the dark underarms can indicate various conditions like Addison’s disease, pregnancy hormonal changes, high insulin in our body, diabetes, allergies, and hyper-pigmentation. These can be caused by antiperspirants or deodorants.
Furthermore, the heavy rubbing of the underarm may also cause the darkening of the skin. Hyperkeratosis is what the scientific term of the condition on which the skin in the underarm turn out to be hard to fight irritation and inflammation. For the reason of pressure application and excessive rubbing.
What Causes Dark Underarms?
The darkening of the underarm may occur because of some conditions, like:
- Dead cells accumulation: the dead cells accumulate or form all over the body; this actually is not even a surprise when it comes to the underarm skin. Furthermore, when the skin cells and the cells inside the body die, they accumulate on the outer layer of the skin, making it look darker.
- Perspiration: sweating excessively and having a poor ventilation in the underarms may also cause the skin to get dark. This is since the underarms are the areas in the body that are least ventilated.
- Addison’s disease: this is a medical condition wherein the adrenal glands cannot produce the number of hormones that are required by the body. This may cause hyperpigmentation, which makes the skin darker.
- Hair-removal creams: the creams may contain some chemicals, which may irritate the skin, causing it to get dark. Even though it can make your skin hair vanish, it may make your skin look darker.
- Shaving: this is one of the major cause of dark underarm. When you shave your underarm skin, the skin tends to get dark and hard. This is because of the abrasion and irritation that naturally occurs in the underarm skin.
Home Remedies for Dark Underarm
Here are some of the best home remedies for dark underarm:
Tea tree oil. This essential oil doesn’t just lighten the underarm skin, it also keeps the area odor-less. The antioxidant properties in it also help the skin in making it healthy. Furthermore, the antimicrobial properties in it also help in killing the microbes and deodorize the underarm.
Castor oil. This essential oil helps in absorbing all the impurities that are on the skin and it also clears out the pores. Moreover, the dead cells, excess oil, and dirt in the pores are removed. This is to make the skin look lighter.
Turmeric. This is one of the best home remedies for dark underarm. This is beneficial for lightening and brightening up the skin tone. Moreover, it also helps in fading away from the spots.
Olive oil. This essential oil is beneficial for hydrating and nourishing the skin. Furthermore, it is also rich in many antioxidant properties, which is beneficial in getting rid of dark underarm.
Aloe vera. The aloesin in the aloe vera gel is an inhibitor of tyrosinase –this enzyme is responsible for the skin pigmentation. When the activity of the tyrosinase is being hindered, then the dark underarm will become much lighter.
ACV or Apple Cider Vinegar. This contains mild acids that are beneficial in removing the accumulated dead skin cells. Furthermore, it also helps in lightening the dark underarm area.