Chile is one of the most wonderful countries in the world, a hot tourist destination with mesmerizing qualities. All along its roads, throughout its hills and in its forests, you can see an overgrowth of bushes which offer purple berries. These are Maqui berries, and they are abundant without even being cultivated. Did you know that they can help you lose weight? That’s right. Keep reading to learn more!
What are Maqui Berries?
Table of Contents
Maqui berries are also known as Chilean blackberries, Chilean wineberries or more simply wineberries or Maqui. They are native to the ancient temperate rainforest along Southern Chile’s coast, which extends to Patagonian Argentina. The berries come from an evergreen, thin-trunked bush or tree that grows to be about 4-5 meters tall. Found at elevations up to 2,500 meters, the bush grows small white flowers between September to December, and it produces dark red to deep purple berries with a sweet and pleasant taste.
The rich colour of the berries can be attributed to the anthocyanin, which acts as a powerful antioxidant. The fruit’s pigment is used to promote organic food colorants, and it’s also a key part of colouring red wine. The Maqui plant does best in well-drained soil, protected from drying winds and overbearing sunlight.
This berry is really one of the most nutritious, offering the following contents per serving:
- Protein – 5.15 grams
- Carbohydrates – 74.97 grams
- Dietary Fiber – 46.30 grams
- Total Sugars – 24.23 grams
- Total Fat – 7.63 grams
- Saturated Fat – 1.09 grams
- Vitamin C – 2.553 grams
- Vitamin E – 751 IU
- Potassium – 763 milligrams
- Calcium – 255 milligrams
- Sodium – 24 milligrams
- Iron – 7.7 milligrams
- Calories – 389
Below is a list of traditional uses for Maqui berries:
- Water infused with Maqui leaves and berries is great for intestinal and digestive health. It can also help reduce inflammation and ease kidney pains.
- Poultice made from the leaves has anti-tumor, anti-pyretic and analgesic properties.
- Gargling water infused with the leaves can treat inflammation caused by oropharyngeal mucosa.
- The Maqui berry rejuvenates cells and wards off toxins and chemical.
- The fruits can be used externally to treat infected wounds.
- It is also used to treat ulcers, hemorrhoids, throat infections and intestinal tumors.
Maqui Berry for Weight Loss: Is it Really Effective?
The organic maqui berry has now become one of the most popular power foods, and it can offer you many health benefits, including weight loss. Like most things, though, it’s all about the right balance. If you’re trying to lose weight, you need to make sure you’re complementing your efforts with exercise, supplements, a proper diet and lowered stress levels.
There are a lot of so-called ‘miracle foods’ or pills that people take to lose weight, but they don’t actually have any positive effects on the health. This is what separates maqui berries from the pack. If you’re going to consume the berry, no matter what form you do it in, you’re taking something that helps with weight loss and is good for your overall health. There are many maqui berry supplements available that contain antioxidants which can remove free radicals that damage cells and cause cancer.
Of course, you need to remember to avoid unhealthy foods, or you’ll cancel out the effects of the berries. Try adding maqui to your diet and see what changes it offers you!
Other Benefits of Maqui Berry
Aside from the aforementioned benefits of maqui berries, other perks include:
- It promotes younger skin. Various conditions and diseases, like premature aging, are caused by free radicals.
- It helps with weight loss. Maqui berries are known as a slimming fruit for a reason. Their low calorie count helps counteract fat cells.
- It boosts eye health. Maqui berry is helpful in alleviating dry eyes, supporting natural tear production and reducing light-induced damage to tear glans.
- It keeps the heart healthy. Cholesterol oxidation in the blood can cause heart attacks, hardened arteries and stroke.
- It helps treat diabetes. Maqui berry is popular because it possesses anti-diabetic properties. Studies have shown that this berry is helpful in balancing blood glucose levels.