Meat is regarded by nutritionists as one of the healthiest components of a proper diet. Of course, you should eat it moderately, but it is a good source of the proteins, vitamins and minerals that we need. Conversely, meat has a relatively high amount of cholesterol and fat, which may cause some illnesses. However, the health benefits of meat cannot just be disregarded, since they are all beneficial for your overall health.
Meat has numerous health benefits, including repairing body tissues, providing long-lasting energy, strengthening immunity, eliminating skin diseases and more. It also helps the body fights harmful infections and helps with the production of hemoglobin.
Common types of meat that are as important as they are delicious and tasty are seafood, lamb, beef, pork and poultry. All of these have one common denominator, and that is their protein content. Protein is one of the most important nutrients that our body needs to function. The protein in meat converts into energy in the body, which helps manage its daily functions.
There are health various benefits that only meat can give. These cannot be substituted with any vegetarian diets. Diseases like skin problems, diabetes and cholesterol have recently come up, and studies show that those who do not eat meat have a much higher tendency to suffer from neurotransmitter conditions like eating disorders, somatoform diseases, anxiety and depression.
Types of Meats
- Seafood Meat: lipped muscle, tilapia, oysters, barramundi, anchovies, tuna, salmon, shrimp, sardines, lobsters, crabs, etc.
- Poultry: quail, chicken, duck, turkey, etc.
- Red Meat: goat, beef, bison, lamb, pork, etc.
Nutritional Value of Meat
Seafood meats are a good source of omega 3 fatty acids like EPA and DHA, and they can also provide vitamin D, vitamin B, vitamin A and protein. On the other hand, poultry and red meats are capable of providing vitamin D, vitamin B, vitamin A and protein as well as various types of minerals like iron, magnesium and zinc. All of these nutrients, vitamins, and minerals are beneficial for various functions of the body.
Here is a more profound breakdown of the nutrients available in meats:
- Selenium: this is an antioxidant beneficial in boosting the immune system.
- Zinc: this nutrient is important in the body since helps strengthen the immune system.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: this compound is significant in the healthy functioning of the heart, liver and central nervous system.
- Iron: this is important in the delivery of oxygen, forming brain cells and energy.
- B vitamins: this is beneficial in making the brain and nervous system work.
- Vitamin D: this vitamin is important for the formation of strong bones and teeth.
- Energy: a hundred grams of meat a day can help provide 27 percent of your daily energy need.
- Fat: meat does contain trans-fat and saturated fat, but in relatively low amounts. Hence, it cannot cause any harm to the body.
- Protein: 100 grams of meat is equivalent to 20-25 grams of protein.
Health Benefits of Meat
Here are some of the best health benefits of meat:
Improves brainpower. The EPA and DHA in fish are beneficial in promoting brainpower and cognitive growth. Moreover, it also helps improve concentration and the general functioning of the brain.
Improves Eyes, Skin and Hair. The omega 3 fatty acids in meat are good for the health of the hair and skin. Furthermore, the fatty acids also help protect the skin from harmful UV rays and restore skin moisture for a more natural glow.
Helps protect the heart. This one of the best health benefits of meat – heart protection. This is mainly because of the omega three fatty acids in the meat. Regular consumption of this acid will help cut out the risk of arrhythmia, stroke and heart attack.
Improves blood circulation. As we know, iron is one of the most important minerals in ensuring the transport of oxygen to the cells and proper blood circulation. Since meat is rich in iron, if you combine it with foods that are rich in vitamin C, it will prevent iron deficiency.
Improves digestion. Meat has high amino acid content. Together with proteins, they improve digestion.
Promotes muscle growth. Meat protein is beneficial in repairing and building body tissues and improving muscle activities.
Boosts immunity. Since meat has high antioxidant properties, it is beneficial in boosting the immune system. Furthermore, the omega 3 fatty acids are also good for strengthening the immunity of the body against harmful infections.