Excessively sweaty hands are caused by a hyperactivity of the glands in the body. When the nervous system gets stimulated, it causes sweating to control the body temperature. Sweaty hands can sometimes be due to nervousness or tension, which throws body temperature off balance. It can also be a temporary symptom of fever, which causes the whole body to sweat profusely and get cold. Sweaty hands cause great discomfort and irritation, hampering many day-to-day activities. For example, it could be embarrassing for someone with sweaty hands to shake hands with someone else at a formal meeting or for someone on a date who wants to hold their partner’s hand.
Natural Ways to Get Rid of Sweaty Hands
The following are natural, easy and economical ways to relieve sweaty and sticky hands:
1. Boil two cups of water with 4 tea bags. After the water cools a little, soak your hands in it for 20-25 minutes. The tannic acid in the tea acts as an antiperspirant by blocking the pores and thickening the skin’s surface, as it has astringent properties. You can also hold the tea bags in your hands for 20-25 minutes, 2-3 times a day. The colour of your hands may change for a while, but it gradually disappears.
2. Sage tea affects the nerves in the brain by reducing tension. Thus, it is one of the best home remedies for sweaty hands.
3. Epsom salt has many properties that work wonders for the health, whether it is eaten or used externally. For the best effect, add some to boiling water. Let the water cool a little and then soak your hands in it for 20-25 minutes.
4. Boric acid has always been used to cure athletes’ foot, which is mainly caused by excessive sweating. It can similarly be used for sweaty hands. A lot of boric acids can be sprinkled into cotton gloves and worn for a couple of hours. When you are finished, wash your hands thoroughly to remove the boric acid. Its medicinal properties will continue working to control the sweat on your hands.
5. Mix a little baking soda with lukewarm water and soak your hands in it for 20-25 minutes. This treatment, repeated over a few days, is very effective in preventing sweaty hands.
6. Alum powder is another effective natural remedy for sweaty hands. It can be sprinkled on the hands to get relief and should be applied several times during the day to block the pores of the hands and prevent them from sweating.
In extreme cases, one may be experiencing excessive sweating because of thyroid problems or low blood sugar levels. If this is the case, seek immediate medical attention. If none of the above tips work, your doctor may also recommend thoracic sympathectomy, a simple operation for those who are embarrassed by excessively sweaty hands.