Excessive sweating of the hands is due to the hyperactivity of the glands in the body. When the nervous system gets stimulated, it results in sweating to control the body temperature. The sweating occurring on the hands could sometimes be due to nervousness or tension which imbalances the body temperature and results in sweating to cool the temperature. It could also occur temporarily during fever when the hands sweat a lot and become cold. It is a condition of great discomfort and irritation as day to day activities are hampered. For instance, it could be very embarrassing for someone with sweaty hands to shake hands with someone else at a formal meeting or for someone on a date wanting to hold his partner’s hand.
Natural ways for getting rid of sweaty hands are easy and economical and help in relief from the sticky hands.
1. Two cups of water can be boiled with 4 tea bags in it. After the water cools a little, hands can be soaked in it for 20-25 minutes. The tannic acid in the tea acts as an antiperspirant, as it has astringent properties. The tea bags can also be held in the hand for 20-25 minutes, 2-3 times a day, to reduce perspiration as the tannic acid blocks the pores and helps the skin’s surface to thicken a bit. The colour of the hands may change for a while but it becomes faint later and disappears completely.
2. Sage tea acts on the nerves of the brain and helps in reducing tension. Thus it is one of the best home remedies for sweaty hands.
3. Epsom salt has many properties that work wonders for health, whether it is consumed in a food item or used externally. It can be added to boiling water, which should be left to cool a little. The hands can then be soaked in the water for 20-25 minutes to help control sweating.
4. Boric acid has always been used for curing athletes’ foot, which is caused mainly because of excessive sweating. It can similarly be used for sweaty hands. A lot of boric acids can be sprinkled into cotton gloves, which can be worn for about a couple of hours. After a few hours, the hands should be washed thoroughly to get rid of the boric acid, but the medicinal properties will continue to work and control the sweat in the sweaty hands.
5. A little baking soda can be mixed with lukewarm water and hands can be soaked in it for 20-25 minutes. This treatment is repeated over a few days is very effective in preventing sweat on the hands.
6. Alum powder is another one of the effective natural remedies for sweaty hands. It can be sprinkled on the hands to get relief. The alum powder can be applied several times during the day to block the pores of the hands and prevent them from sweating.
In extreme cases, when one experiences excessive sweating due to thyroid problems or low blood sugar levels, immediate medical advice must be taken. Thoracic sympathectomy is a simple operation recommended by doctors for those who are embarrassed with excessive sweaty hands.