You may be familiar with molasses already, but have you ever heard of blackstrap molasses? This dark substance is what’s left after most of the sugar is extracted from raw sugarcane. Blackstrap molasses is a powerhouse of essential nutrients, capable of naturally relieving symptoms of PMS, stabilizing blood sugar levels, treating ADHD symptoms, boosting skin health and improving bone health. Learn more about it in this article!
What is Blackstrap Molasses?
Blackstrap molasses is a dark, gooey type of molasses which is left over after the sugar is extracted from the raw sugarcane. Its unique, syrupy consistency is made by the third round of boiling sugar syrup. Blackstrap molasses is a concentrated byproduct of crystallized sucrose, and its strong taste is often described as bittersweet. Unlike refined sugar, it contains a lot of vitamins and minerals.
Originally imported from the Caribbean by settlers, the substance was a more affordable alternative to refined sugar, making it well-loved until the late 19th century. In fact, it was so famous that British royals tried to stop colonists from interacting with the West Indies! Due to the growth of corruption among local officials and resentment and bitterness towards British law, by 1776, colonists were fighting for their independence from the British rule.
Since then, blackstrap molasses has has a comeback in health communities, which hail vitamin-rich and nutrituous foods. Today, the largest producers of molasses are the United States, Philippines, Thailand, Taiwan, Brazil, and India. As it becomes more popular, it is also more easy to find in supermarkets around the world.
Nutritional Content of Blackstrap Molasses
Blackstrap molasses contains various essential vitamins and minerals, which it absorbs from the sugar cane. It has a moderate glycemic content, making it a better choice than refined sugar, particular for diabetics. It also has high amounts of manganese, selenium, iron, potassium, magnesium and vitamin B6.
A 100g serving of blackstrap molasses may contain the following:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Vitamin B6||0.7 milligrams||34%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.8 milligrams||8%|
Health Benefits of Blackstrap Molasses
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of blackstrap molasses:
- Improves bone health. Since there is a high calcium content in blackstrap molasses, it helps promote healthy and strong bones. We lose calcium every day via the skin, urine, stool, sweat, hair and nails, so it’s important to eat foods rich in it.
- Helps promote skin health. The lactic acid in blackstrap molasses is essential in naturally treating acne and other skin conditions. Consuming blackstrap molasses may also help accelerate the healing time of cuts, wounds, burns and more.
- Helps prevent cancer. This maybe is the best health benefit of blackstrap molasses, and it’s to its high antioxidant content, which helps reduce the effects of free radicals in the body.
- Helps stabilize blood sugar levels. Blackstrap molasses is beneficial in stabilizing blood sugar levels, making it particularly beneficial for those who have diabetes. It has a low glycemic index and may naturally slow down the metabolism of carbohydrates and glucose.
- Helps combat stress. The calcium, B vitamins and magnesium in blackstrap molasses are essential in fighting stress and anxiety. For instance, the vitamin B6 in blackstrap molasses helps raise serotonin levels, a hormone that controls moods and averts fatigue, pain and depression.
- Helps relieve symptoms of PMS. There is a good amount of iron in blackstrap molasses. This is beneficial for women who experience symptoms of PMS.