In this article, we are going to talk about muscle weakness. As its name implies, this condition mainly attacks the muscles. For instance, you sit cross-legged on the floor, and you tried getting up without using your hand for support. If you are able to do it, indeed, you are in good health. Nonetheless, if you cannot, it might indicate muscle weakness and some other illnesses. If the arms and the legs feel unusually heavy, and you feel the need to put in an extra energy for performing even the basic activities like sitting on the ground or getting up from the couch, it is already an indication of weak muscles. Read on to this article and get to know about the different treatments for muscle weakness.
First, let us know some other information about it!
Muscle Weakness: What is this?
Table of Contents
When the effort does not produce the required muscle movements or contractions, you might be experiencing muscle weakness. Sometimes, it is called reduced muscle strength, weak muscles, or muscular weakness.
Whether you are ill or simply need a rest, short-term muscle weakness occurs to almost everyone at some point. Furthermore, a tough workout, for example, will cause exhaustion on the muscles, until you have given them the chance to recover through resting.
Nevertheless, if you develop an insistent muscle weakness or the weakness of the muscle with no apparent normal explanation or cause, it may already be a sign of a causal health problem. The voluntary muscle contractions are commonly generated when the brain sends a certain signal through the nerves and spinal cord to the muscle. If the brain, muscles, nervous system, or the connections in between them gets affected or injured by disease, the muscles may not contract in a normal manner. This is what produces muscle weakness.
Doing intense workouts are known to result in the muscle weakness. Not unless you give your muscles time to recover. In some cases, the muscle weakness may also be a result of some other causal illnesses that may need some treatments.
Some of the potential causes of muscle weakness are below.
Muscle Weakness: What causes it?
The muscle weakness might be a result of various health conditions, including:
- West Nile Virus
- Rheumatic Fever
- Elevated Blood Calcium Hypercalcemia
- Chronic muscle inflammation or polymyositis
- Sharp or burning pain in one or more nerves, or neuralgia
- Nerve damage is a peripheral neuropathy
- Myasthenia gravis (an autoimmune disorder)
- Lack of muscle tone or hypotonia
- Muscular dystrophy
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
Even the prolonged periods of bed rest or even immobility may cause muscle weakness, some other diseases are also known to result in the condition are Lou Gehrig’s disease, Guillain-Barre syndrome, and Grave’s disease.
Muscle Weakness: Signs and Symptoms
The most common signs and symptoms that come with the muscle weakness are as follows:
- Muscle cramps
- Muscle pain
Most frequently, the muscle weakness is a symptom of an illness, which may require an immediate medical attention. Therefore, first and foremost, it is important to find the underlying cause of the condition and avail the possible treatments for it.
Apart from that, below are some of the most effective treatments for muscle weakness.
Treatments for Muscle Weakness
Here are some of the most effective treatments for muscle weakness:
- The rich potassium content of potatoes is beneficial in enhancing the muscle movements. This is essential in combating the muscle weakness as well as its symptoms, in a natural way.
- The yoghurt has various essential nutrients like B vitamins, potassium, and calcium, which are essential in providing the body and the muscles with energy. Moreover, it also contains some natural sugars, which provide some additional support in the production of energy for the weak muscles.
- Bananas provide instant energy for the body and are considered as one of the best treatments for muscle weakness. Bananas are rich in carbs like glucose and sucrose, which may help in the conversion of carbs to energy for the muscles.
- The caffeine in the coffee if taken in moderation is revitalizing and may help in combating the symptoms of muscle weakness.
- The rich levels of vitamin E and magnesium in the almonds are beneficial for the muscle and the overall health. Not just that, they are also essential in converting the proteins and carbohydrates from foods to energy. This, in turn, will help in naturally combating the muscle weakness.
- This is one of the best natural concoctions for the human health. It has a lot of vitamins and minerals, which are beneficial in restoring the muscle health.
Muscle Weakness: Prevention Tips
- Follow a well-balanced and nutritious diet.
- Get a body massage every once in a while in order for your muscles to recover much faster.
- Practice yoga, or some other forms of meditation.
- Keep the stress levels under control. Avails some counseling if needed.
- Sleep well.
- Take a walk every day.
- Indulge in various mild exercises every day.