Boils are common and painful infections of the hair follicle and its surrounding skin. it actually begins as red lumps, then it becomes filled with the pus of white blood cells, that rushes in to fight the infection that causes boils. This can be quite painful and it may cause discomfort. Furthermore, when it appears in the face, it may cause some emotional breakdown, lower self-esteem and lower self-confidence. Thus, having proper knowledge about this condition is necessary. Luckily, this article will give you the important things you need to know about the condition. Additionally, the treatments for boils are also included here, so that you will know how to treat it. What are you waiting for, give this article a read now and learn.
Boils: What are these?
Boils are the red and raised swellings in the skin, which causes discomfort and lingering pain. The boils are mainly due to the improper functioning of our immune system, diabetes, unhygienic conditions, or having a poor diet. Aside from this, a certain bacterium may also be the cause od the development and appearance of boils. Even though boils are curable, leaving it untreated for a long period of time is not advisable.
It is also called as a skin abscess, boils are localized infections that occurs deep in the skin. They usually start in the hair follicle or in the oil gland. Boils usually start as tender and red areas. As the time passes, it becomes hard and firm. It’s center will then eventually become filled with white substances that help eradicate the infection.
Boils usually develop in the neck, face, eyes, legs, buttocks, as well as in the armpits. If boils persist for a long amount of time or if the pain is austere, then immediate consultation with a dermatologist is a must.
Boils: Where does it develop?
Boils may develop in almost all parts of the body. The typical sites of boils are the hairy and sweaty areas of the body. The same goes for the areas that have friction in it, just like the inner thighs. Most of the boils may appear in any of the following parts of the body:
Boils: What are its symptoms?
Boils start as red, painful, hard lump, which measures about an inch. After a few days, the lump will get softer and larger, and become more painful. The pus will then form on top of the boil. Here are some of the common signs and symptoms of boils:
- Pain in the boil area
- Irritation and itching
- Development of a lump that initially soft, but becomes hard and stiff
- Redness of the boil area that has yellowish liquid form in the middle
- Lump on the skin
- Swelling of the lymph nodes
- More boils may develop around the main one
Boils: What causes it?
Most of the cases of boils are causes by a certain bacterium called Staphylococcus aureus. This particular bacterium actually is present in the skin of so many healthy people. They mainly stay in the noses and in the skin without you even knowing it. When there is a cut or scrape in the skin, there is a big possibility that the bacteria may enter the hair follicle and start the infection. Some other boils are actually connected to acne, and may develop from the pores that are clogged, and became infected.
Boils: What are its Risk Factors?
Here are some of the most common factors that may increase the risk of boils:
- Intravenous use of drugs
- Skin exposure to some harsh chemicals, which may cause irritation to the skin
- Poor hygiene
- Poor nutrition
- Immune system conditions
Some other risk factors of boils are getting clos contact with other people who have boils. Furthermore, you may also acquire it in some public places like nail salons, and whirlpool footbaths.
Treatments for Boils
Here are some of the most active treatments for boils:
- Proper hygiene: having a proper hygiene is very important. Make sure to separate the things that you use to prevent the onset of the condition.
- Onion juice: applying this to the boil area can be beneficial. Furthermore, it may also help in preventing the occurrence of the boils.
- Garlic juice: this actually acts the same as the onion juice. It helps in making the boil ripen and rupture. This makes it one of the most awesome treatments for boils.
- Vinegar: this helps in rapidly drying up the boils for it to easily pop.
- Tea tree oil: rubbing small amounts of this oil in to the area of boils help in eliminating it in just three weeks.
- Bitter gourd: the antimicrobial properties that the bitter gourd may provide helps in cleaning the circulatory system. hence, it is an effective treatment for the boils.
- Tomatoes: this easy and simple remedy for boils is so beneficial. It helps in treating the condition much faster, and more efficiently.