There is a fruit that has been getting a lot of attention lately. Do you know which one I’m talking about. Tart cherry, of course! Not only is it flavourful, but it also has a lot of nutrients which can help boost your heart health, increase immunity and reduce high blood pressure. So what is it? Tart cherries are related to sweet cherries and are often found in cakes and jams. Their health benefits make them a valuable addition to your daily diet. Read on to learn more!
Nutritional Facts of Tart Cherries
Consuming tart cherry juice, especially for older people, can help protect against heart diseases, brain diseases and cancer. It can also help the body fight oxidative damage, which, if left untreated, can lead to infections, atherosclerosis, diabetes, Alzheimer’s and cancer.
The anthocyanin content of tart cherries can help remedy liver dysfunction or hypertension, while the fruit also has a history of fighting eye diseases, microbial infections and other diverse health diseases. According to studies, anthocyanin has the ability to slow cancer cell proliferation and inhibit tumor formation.
Tart cherry juice contains quercetin antioxidants, which prevent the damage caused by free radicals in the body and prevent plaque build-ups which can lead to heart attacks or stroke. According to some studies, quercetin is also effective in reducing blood pressure and lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Tart cherries contain melatonin, which regulates your sleep cycle, as well as fiber, which lowers the risk of colorectal cancer. Consuming high amounts of dietary fiber can leave you feeling full for longer, which helps control weight.
Tart cherries contain anti-oxidative properties that help with cognition and focus, reducing oxidative stress and helping prevent neurological diseases.
Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
Here are some of the health benefits of tart cherries:
- They can boost your brain function. According to research, tart cherries are a way to improve brain activity. Their anthocyanins and antioxidants can prevent brain diseases, and studies have shown their extract to improve the cognitive ability of mice.
- They can decrease inflammation. We recommend patients with osteoarthritis drink tart cherry juice twice every day over a span of three weeks. Seniors who suffer from stiffness and pain may benefit from the health benefits, as studies have shown the juice to cause notable improvements in inflammation.
- They can help prevent diabetes. We recommend drinking tart cherry juice every day to maintain normal blood sugar levels.
- They can help with muscle pain. According to studies, tart cherries are effective for muscle pain. Runners experience less pain if they drink tart cherry juice after a race, and studies show is protects muscles by reduce the pain in them after exercising.
- They can help you fall asleep. Drinking a serving of the juice twice every day can add up to 90 minutes to your sleep cycle every night. This is due to its melatonin, a hormone which helps you fall asleep.
- They can speed up your healing. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of the fruit make it helpful for healing physical activities in the body. The anti-inflammatory properties further help relieve symptoms of arthritis.
Side Effects of Tart Cherry Juice
Because of its sorbitol content, tart cherry juice can cause abdominal discomfort or diarrhea. However, it is less dangerous than other anti-inflammatory medications which you can buy at the pharmacy. As with everything, moderate consumption is key, but there is no denying the health benefits this fruit, and its juice, offer. If you want to take your health to the next level, be sure to add tart cherries to your diet!