When it comes to your health, water is one of the most important factors. There is no other substance in the world more important for the body, so drinking it consistently is already doing amazing things for your health. Maybe you’ve already heard of alkaline water, a type of water which some say has less acid than tap water. Can it be true that this is a better choice? Keep reading this article to learn more about why alkaline water is very important for the betterment of your health.
What is Alkaline Water?
pH levels are displayed to us in the form of a number measuring the acidity or alkalinity of something. The scale ranges from 0 to 14. The closer an element’s pH level is to 0, the more acidic it is, and the closer the level is to 14, the more alkaline it is. The pH level of the water is neutral, sitting at around pH 7. However, the level of gases and chemicals in it may render it more alkaline or more acidic, with the term ‘alkaline’ denoting the pH level of the water.
Alkaline water has a much higher pH level than regular tap or drinking water. While tap or drinking water generally has a neutral pH of 7, alkaline water typically has a pH of 8, sometimes even reaching a pH of 9. Because of this, there are some who advocate the use of alkaline, believing it may help neutralize any acid in the body.
Alkaline Water: Does it really work?
Alkaline water has long been controversial, and there are many health professionals who argue against drinking it, citing a lack of research to help support the various health claims made by sellers. Some say regular water is still the best type of water for most people, and there is no evidence which fully supports the claims of alkaline advocates.
Nevertheless, various studies suggest that alkaline water may be a great help in combatting various conditions. For an instance, a 2012 study found that drinking alkaline water with a pH level of 8.8 helps deactivate pepsin, the enzyme responsible for causing acid reflux.
Another study suggests that the health benefits of alkaline water include lowering or reducing high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes. Yet another, more recent study also shows that alkaline water has a significant effect on the viscosity of blood. Viscosity, or the measurement of how blood flows into the blood vessels, was shown to be significantly and positively affected by the consumption of alkaline water, helping increase oxygen delivery throughout the body.
Health Benefits of Alkaline Water
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of alkaline water:
- Diabetes and blood pressure: alkaline water helps lower or reduce high levels of blood lipids, high blood sugar and high blood pressure. Effects can be seen over a span of 3 to 6 months.
- Acid reflux: acid reflux disease occurs when the stomach’s content splashes back into the esophagus, or the food pipe. One study shows that alkaline water with a pH level of helps stop the enzyme that causes acid reflux. It also shows a significant reduction in the acidity of the stomach’s contents.
- Cancer: one study suggests the use of an alkaline diet to help enhance the effects of the various chemotherapy drugs used in treating cancer. However, this is not limited to alkaline water, but rather encourages a diet which is overall less acidic.
- Osteoporosis and bone health: alkaline water has a significant effect on the improvement of bone health, particular treating osteoporosis, a bone condition.
- Antioxidant: drinking alkaline water may help protect the body from various infections and diseases which may be harmful.
- The pH level balance: alkaline water helps neutralize the acid levels in the body. This is one of its best health benefits.
- Better hydration: alkaline water is better than the regular tap water we drink, helping to hydrate the body more effectively than tap water.