Are you experiencing a poor cardiac health? Do you experience thinning of hair? Do you want to stop those disturbing signs of aging? If your answer to these questions is yes, then you must include the black currant fruit in the diet instantly. Are you not familiar with it? Well, black currants are small black berries that are oozing with important antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. As well as some other essential nutrients that are broadly beneficial for the health. There are also a lot of health benefits of black currant that are essential for the overall health. If you want to know these and more, feel free to give this article a read!
Black Currant: What is this?
The black currant is one of the most popular summer season berries, which are amazingly rich in various essential health-benefiting antioxidants and phytonutrients, which are essential for the health.
For a long period of time, black currant is called the forbidden fruit. This is mainly because the farmers thought that these tart berries were native to Asia and Europe, which helped in the spread of the fungus, which killed the pine trees. Due to this banning of the black currant, many miss out the amazing nutritional benefits of the berries.
As a matter of fact, black currants are oozing with:
- GLA or gamma-linoleic acid
- Vitamin C
- Polyphenolic substances, and
In the actual fact, black currant is a small kind of shrub that belongs to the Grossulariaceae plant family. It is of the Ribes genus, and is known scientifically as Ribes nigrum. Furthermore, currants are native to the central and in the northern part of Siberia and Europe. Moreover, the currant plant is deciduous, small, and fast growing shrub, which may reach up to about 5 to 6 feet tall. Generally, black currants grow in various regions where the summers are clammy with winters that are chilling and severe.
Throughout the season, the black currant bears overhanging chain of small berries. Each of which has about 1 centimeter in diameter, and are very dark –almost black actually. It has a glossy skin and a tenacious calyx on its apex. Furthermore, it may bring about 3 to 10 small, edible seeds.
Nutritional Content of Black Currant
The black currant carries important amounts of anthocyanins. Various scientific studies show that the consumption of currants may have some potential health effects against cancer, neurological diseases, inflammation, and aging. Moreover, the black currants also have an antioxidant value of about 7950 equivalent per 100 grams. This is one of the highest value of ORAC in fruits after the cranberries, elderberries, and chokeberries.
Refer to the table below if you want to know the other nutrients in the black currant.
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.41 grams||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||4.3 grams||11%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.398 milligrams||8%|
|Vitamin A||230 IU||7.5%|
|Vitamin C||181 milligrams||301%|
Health Benefits of Black Currant
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of black currant:
- The vitamin A in black currant is beneficial in maintaining the eye health. In fact, it helps in avoiding vision loss by increasing the visual and eyesight power.
- The black currants prevent gastrointestinal conditions and cardiovascular inflammation since it has a good amount of phytonutrients, tannins, and antioxidants.
- Black currants are good sources of iron and may contribute to the red blood cells formation.
- The black currants are beneficial in making the memory sharper. This is all due to the presence of the iron and the antioxidants in it.
- Black currants possess anti-bacterial properties. This is all due to the fact that it is rich with two chemical compounds –the anthocyanin and tannin. Both of these may prevent the bacteria growth in the urinary tract.
- The vitamin C and the other antioxidants in the blackcurrants are essential in halting the premature ageing.
- The vitamin C content of black currant is a good immune booster. This is essential for the immune system to become stronger so that you will not be prone to infection, fever, cold, and the likes.
- There are anti-carcinogenic properties in the black currant, which may be beneficial in preventing the growth of cancer cells. This is all because of its content of antioxidants like zeaxanthin, cryptoxanthin, beta-carotene, vitamin C, and the likes. This is probably the best of all the health benefits of blackcurrants.
- There is an ample amount of omega-3 fatty acids in the blackcurrant. This is essential in promoting cardiac health. This is beneficial in lowering the level of bad cholesterol in the body and boost the amount of good cholesterol in the bloodstream concurrently.