Cheese. Even upon just reading this, we tend to think about the delicious yellow dairy product ingredient, which is used in imparting an additional flavor to various types of dishes. This is by using it as a food dressing or as toppings. Furthermore, there are various types of cheese that’s readily available in the market today. One of these is the blue cheese, which is one of the healthiest varieties of cheese. Well, when we say blue cheese, it doesn’t necessarily mean that it is in color blue, it is still in the normal color, only that, it has blue streaks. It has a unique appearance, and taste. But those aren’t the only things that makes it popular. The health benefits of blue cheese are astoundingly amazing too. Read on to know more.
Blue Cheese: What is this?
As its name suggests, blue cheese is a cheese that has a unique blue color in it. Well, not all of it is blue, the parts with blue-green color are actually the parts with molds in it. Furthermore, the blue molds that are present in it are due to the presence of bacteria, which start the phase of aging. Thus imparting the unique characteristic and appearance of the blue cheese.
Due to the aging process of the blue cheese, the appearance of it is not the only thing that is affected, its taste as well. In fact, the taste of the blue cheese is so strong. Commonly, this type of cheese is used in making various dressings and as a topping or salads and burgers. Furthermore, blue cheese has high levels of fat. In fact, there is about 28 grams of it per ounce serving. However, it may also be incorporated in some healthy diet, since it can be a good source of various health benefits.
Even though it has an unusual and unique look, it is capable of offering a great benefits for the health. The molds that cause the blue appearance of the cheese is actually connected to penicillin and is capable of getting rid of harmful bacteria in the body. Additionally, the blue cheese has goat’s milk in it, instead of cow’s milk. This makes it much healthier in various ways. In the actual fact, the goat’s milk has much lesser saturated fat and cholesterol. However, it has high vitamin A and B, phosphorus, iron, and calcium content. Accordingly, it is much easier to digest it than the cheese that’s made from the cow’s milk. Therefore, it is a better match for those who are intolerant of lactose.
Nutritional Value of Blue Cheese
There is a number of types of blue cheese, these include Blue stilton, gorgonzola, Danablu, and Roquefort. Regardless of what type it is, blue cheese is undeniably nutritious. In fact, the essential nutrients in the blue cheese are all good for the body.
100 grams of blue cheese may contain:
|Nutrients||% Daily Value|
Health Benefits of Blue Cheese
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of blue cheese:
- Anti-inflammation: inflammation is one of the major concerns of almost all people today. If you ignore it, there may be some serious or even fatal things to happen. Good things, there is blue cheese. This type of cheese is beneficial in getting rid of inflammation. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- Helps in boosting the immunity: studies show that the consumption of blue cheese may help in giving the immune system a boost. The essential vitamins and minerals in the cheese are all good for the health.
- Good for the dental health: blue cheese is also good for the teeth. In fact, the presence of calcium in it is beneficial for the teeth. Furthermore, the consumption of it may help in getting rid of tooth decay and plaque.
- Helps enhance the memory: this is one of the best health benefits of blue cheese. The nutrients in the blue cheese is beneficial in the enhancement of the memory and get rid of any memory conditions.
- Helps in preventing osteoporosis: the calcium content of the blue cheese is quite high, thus making it essential in preventing osteoporosis and making the bone health much stronger.
- Helps in fighting arthritis: as we age, there are more and more health conditions that we experience. one of which is arthritis. The anti-inflammatory properties of the blue cheese are beneficial in reducing any joint pain and relieve arthritis.
- Good for the heart health: if you add blue cheese in your diet, it may help in reducing the risk of any cardiovascular illnesses. In fact, studies show that those who consume blue cheese on a regular basis have a lower risk of contracting the cardiovascular illnesses.
Blue cheese not only have a unique appearance, it is also a good addition to the diet. Its health benefits are all astoundingly amazing and are all good for the health.