The quickly growing, starchy, and very sweet green minute balls also know as green peas can do a lot of wonders for your health. This is of course when you add them to your meals. Green peas are not just so tasty, they also possess so many nutrients, which make it an essential ingredient in your own vegetable diet. There are some people who think that these are just somewhat cheap peas that are served or used in garnishing. However, it is not so, the health benefits of green peas are what makes it more famous as well. Therefore, they can be considered as one of the powerhouses of nutritional values.
What are Green Peas?
The sweet, and delightful green peas also known as the garden peas, actually, are part of the cultivated ancient vegetables that are grown because of their delicious and healthful green seeds. The green peas are believed to have been instigated in the plains of the sub-Himalaya in the northwestern part of India. In today’s day and time, this particular legume is one of the main commercial crops that is popular in various semi-tropical and temperate regions.
Furthermore, green peas are quick growing and are an annual herbaceous plant that requires trellis as a support for its growth. Furthermore, it prospers in a sandy soil, which has a tolerable moisture and conditions of cold weather. The short-stalked and green pods may appear late in winter or early in spring. Each of these pods is measuring about 2 to 3 inches, compressed or swollen, slightly curved or straight, filled with about 2 to ten light green and smooth eatable seeds.
Generally, the green peas pods are good for harvesting while it is just short of getting its maturity stage. It is the point wherein the seeds are still green, sweet, soft, and are edible when raw. Furthermore, if you allow the pods to become mature even more, then the seeds may become light-green to yellow, bitter in taste, and will have the tendency to be less sweet.
The tendrils of the green peas are also eatable. In fact, they are subtle and tender. Its flavor is actually similar to that of the peas. The leafy shoots, as well as the tendrils, are one of the flavored items in cooking and in salads in various regions in Southeast Asia and East Asia.
Nutritional Facts of Green Peas
Green peas is more than what eyes can see. This amazingly small but terrible vegetable is oozing with so many health benefits becasue of its ample nutritional value.
Here is the nutritional value of the small yet delicious green peas:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total lipid||0.40 grams||2%|
|Dietary fiber||5.1 grams||13%|
|Vitamin C||40 milligrams||67%|
|Vitamin A||765 IU||25.5%|
|Vitamin K||24.8 µg||21%|
|Vitamin E||0.13 milligrams||1%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.104 milligrams||2%|
|Calcium||25 milligrams||2.5 %|
Health Benefits of Green Peas
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of green peas:
- Good for the eyes: the green peas have enough amount of antioxidant flavonoids, just like zeaxanthin, beta-carotene, and lutein, as well as vitamin A. thus making it beneficial in sustaining the health of the eyes.
- Helps in improving digestion: the rich dietary fiber content of green peas are beneficial in improving the digestive health. Furthermore, the fiber in it is also beneficial for the metabolism improvement of the body.
- Good for the blood sugar: the high fiber and protein levels in the green peas are beneficial in the prevention of various conditions. These include arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease. Furthermore, the regular consumption of green peas may also help in limiting the neuronal damage in the brain.
- Helps treat osteoporosis and wrinkles: the antioxidant properties of the green peas are beneficial in preventing osteoporosis, wrinkles, and various conditions related to aging.
- Helps in averting aging: peas are beneficial in reducing the signs of aging in the body. Moreover, there are also antioxidant properties in the green peas, just like alpha-carotene, carotenoid, epicatechin, catechin, and flavonoids. These are beneficial in preventing the process of aging in the skin. It is also beneficial in providing a natural glow to the skin.
- Helps in giving immunity: this is one of the best health benefits of green peas. The high levels of antioxidant in the green peas are beneficial in safeguarding the body against various illnesses. Moreover, the rich vitamins and minerals content of the peas are also beneficial in enhancing the immune system.
Truly, green peas are not just delicious additions to various meals. They are not just good as an ingredient in various meals in various cuisines all over the world. They are also good for the betterment of the health.