The quickly growing, starchy and very sweet green minute balls known as green peas can do a lot of wonders for your health when you add them to your meals. Green peas are not just tasty, they also possess so many nutrients, making them an essential ingredient in your vegetable diet. There are some people who think that they are just somewhat cheap peas served as a side or used in garnishing. However, this is not true! The health benefits of green peas are what make them famous, too. They can easily be considered one of the powerhouses of nutritional values.
What are Green Peas?
The sweet and delightful green peas, also known as the garden peas, are actually part of the cultivated ancient vegetables grown for their delicious and healthful green seeds. Green peas are believed to have been instigated in the plains of the sub-Himalayas, in the northwestern part of India. In today’s day and age, this particular legume is one of the main commercial crops, popular in various semi-tropical and temperate regions.
Green peas are quick-growing, an annual herbaceous plant that requires trellis as a support for its growth. It prospers in sandy soil, which has a more tolerable moisture level, and in cold weather conditions. The short-stalked green pods may appear in late winter or early spring. Each of these pods measures about 2 to 3 inches, is compressed or swollen, slightly curved or straight and filled with 2-10 light green and smooth edible seeds.
Generally, the green pea pods are good for harvesting, even though it is just short of its mature stage. This is the point wherein the seeds are still green, sweet, soft, and most edible. In fact, if you allow the pods to become more mature, then the seeds may become light-green to yellow and have the tendency to be more bitter in taste than sweet.
The tendrils of the green peas are also edible. In fact, they are subtle and tender, with a flavor actually similar to that of the peas themselves. The leafy shoots, as well as the tendrils, are one of the more popular flavored items used in cooking and salads in various regions of Southeast Asia and East Asia.
Nutritional Facts of Green Peas
Green peas are more than what the eye can see. This amazingly small but powerful vegetable is oozing with so many health benefits because of its ample nutritional value.
Here is the nutritional value of the small, yet delicious, green pea:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total lipid||0.40 grams||2%|
|Dietary fiber||5.1 grams||13%|
|Vitamin C||40 milligrams||67%|
|Vitamin A||765 IU||25.5%|
|Vitamin K||24.8 µg||21%|
|Vitamin E||0.13 milligrams||1%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.104 milligrams||2%|
|Calcium||25 milligrams||2.5 %|
Health Benefits of Green Peas
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of green peas:
- Good for the eyes: green peas have enough antioxidant flavonoids such as zeaxanthin, beta-carotene, lutein, and vitamin A, making it beneficial in sustaining the health of the eyes.
- Helps improve digestion: the rich dietary fiber content of green peas is beneficial in improving digestive health. The fiber content also makes it beneficial in improving the body’s metabolism.
- Good for blood sugar: the high fiber and protein levels in green peas are beneficial in the prevention of various conditions, including arthritis and Alzheimer’s disease. Furthermore, regular consumption of green peas may also help limit neuronal damage in the brain.
- Helps treat osteoporosis and wrinkles: the antioxidant properties of green peas are beneficial in preventing osteoporosis, wrinkles and various conditions related to aging.
- Helps avert aging: peas are beneficial in reducing the signs of aging in the body. Moreover, there are also antioxidant properties in green peas, including alpha-carotene, carotenoid, epicatechin, catechin and flavonoids. These are beneficial in preventing the process of aging in the skin. They also provide a natural glow to the skin.
- Helps boost immunity: this is one of the best health benefits of green peas. Their high levels of antioxidants beneficial in safeguarding the body against various illnesses. Moreover, the rich vitamin and mineral content of the peas also helps enhance the immune system.
Truly, green peas are not just good as an a delicious meal ingredient in various cuisines all over the world. They are also good for the betterment of health.