Often touted as the king of all herb, holy basils, is actually one of the most popular and most beneficial types of herb we have. Furthermore, holy basil is also overflowing with a lot of important phytonutrients. This particular greatly prized plant is also known as the divine herb in various cultures all over the world. This particular herb is also rich in essential nutrients, which are all beneficial for the overall health. Moreover, these nutrients are also what make up all the necessary health benefits of holy basil. Give this article a read if you want to know more about this herb.
Holy Basil: What is this?
Table of Contents
Scientifically, they call the holy basil as the Ocimum tenulflorum. It a part of the plant family, Lamiaceae. Furthermore, it is from the Ocimum genus.
Originally, basil herb is native to the countries of India and Iran, as well as some other tropical countries in Asia. This particular annual herb is particularly produced for its own medicinally beneficial seeds and leaves. Furthermore, basil grows the best in warmer, tropical countries. The mature holy basil plant may reach about 100 centimeters in height. The leaves of it may differ from light to purple and dark green, silky and smooth, approximately 1-2.5 in. long and 0.5-1 in broad, which has an opposite arrangement. Moreover, the flowers of the holy basil are large, in purple or white color, and is organized in spikes.
A lot of diverse subspecies of the basil herb are existent all over the world. The Mediterranean variety that is usually known as the sweet basil variety has light green-colored leaves. On the other hand, the Asian basil has humungous, hairy stalks and stems, that has pink flowers, pink or purple leaves. It also has a strong clove-like odor. There’s also a lemon basil variety, which has a pleasant lemon-like flavor. Furthermore, there is also the Thai basil, which is the same as the Asian basil, yet features a light green, pointed, narrow, leaves. This possesses a very sweet licorice-like scent. The European variety or the sweet basil variety is a bit mild and has sweet clover or anise scent. For the very same reason, it’s also beneficial as a culinary basil as it is extensively beneficial in various cuisines worldwide.
Different Parts of the Holy Basil Herb
From the leaves up to the seeds, the holy basil is considered as a tonic for the body, spirit, and mind. Various parts of this herb are sugge3sted for treating various illnesses:
- Holy basil essential oil comes from the leaves, which is essential for insect bites.
- The alcohol extract from holy basil is essential in treating eye conditions and stomach ulcers.
- Holy basil ointment and pill are good for eczema.
- The whole holy basil plant is beneficial for vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea.
- Holy basil leaves and seeds combined with black pepper are essential in treating malaria.
- The fresh flowers of holy basil herb are beneficial for bronchitis.
Nutritional Value of Holy Basil
The holy basil is highly nutritious. In fact, it has an ample amount of vitamin C, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, and potassium. Furthermore, it also has good amounts of vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin B6, folate, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, zinc, sodium, and iron.
100 grams of holy basil may contain about:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.64 grams||2%|
|Dietary Fiber||1.60 grams||4%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.209 milligrams||4%|
|Vitamin A||5275 IU||175%|
|Vitamin C||18 milligrams||30%|
|Vitamin E||0.80 milligrams||5%|
|Vitamin K||414.8 micrograms||345%|
Health Benefits of Holy Basil
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of holy basil:
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The holy basil is essential in protecting against almost all the infections from protozoa, fungi, bacteria, and viruses. Studies also show that it is beneficial in inhibiting the growth of carcinogenic cells and HIV.
- Helps in relieving headache. The different compounds in the holy basil possess amazing sedative, disinfectant, anti-congestive, and analgesic properties, which are essential in relieving headaches.
- Helps in reducing stress. The different antioxidants like vitamin C in holy basil are essential in repairing damages done by free radicals. Not just that, they are also essential in relieving stress due to these oxidants.
- Helps in preventing heart diseases. The eugenol, vitamin C, and other antioxidants in holy basil are essential in protecting the heart against harmful effects of free radicals. Furthermore, the eugenol is essential in reducing the cholesterol levels in our blood.
- Treats respiratory conditions. This is one of the best health benefits of holy basil. This is all because of the anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and antiviral properties of the herb. In the actual fact, it is beneficial in treating almost all of the respiratory conditions, including acute and chronic bronchitis.
- Treats fever. The essential oils from the holy basil are essential in treating fever. Furthermore, it is also a great antibiotic, fungicidal, disinfectant agent, and germicidal too. These qualities are what make holy beneficial in treating various conditions, including fever.