Are you a fruit lover? Well, if not, then this should be the time that you will! Fruits are kind of healthy snacks and are nutrient dense. Truly, you will never get wrong with it. There are a variety of fruits that are widely available in markets. One of which is langsat or lanzones. Not only that this fruit has an amazing taste, it also has the most staggering health benefits that no fruit can ever surpass. The health benefits of lanzones are so amazing, and are all for the betterment of the over all health. If you are interested in knowing more about this fruit, feel free to give this article a read.
What is Lanzones?
Table of Contents
Lanzones or langsat is a fruit that belongs to the family of Maliaceae. Originally, lanzones is cultivated in the western part of Southeast Asia. Furthermore, in fact, it is considered to be a provincial flower in Indonesia, most specifically in South Sumatra. The countries who are considered to be the largest producers of lanzones are Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Thailand. Moreover, the production of it is mostly for the domestic consumption. This is even though some of which is exported to the countries of Singapore and Hong Kong.
The lanzones fruit isn’t that large. It has an outer diameter of about 2 to 5 centimeters with its oval shape. Furthermore, the flesh of the fruit is a bit yellowish and has a leathery skin that is usually marked by brown spots. In fact, it is rare that you will be able to find lanzones that have no spots on its skin.
Furthermore, the inside of the fruit has about 5 to 6 divisions of juicy and translucent flesh. Lanzones has a sour and sweet taste, but when it’s ripe, they become sweet. Not only that the fruit is famous for its taste, but are also because each of the segments of this fruit is healthy and delicious.
While it can be cooked, lanzones is commonly eaten raw. This is even though you may buy it is specialty grocery stores as either canned or cadied. Furthermore, there are larger varieties of lanzones, they are known as Duku.
Before we go to the health benefits of lanzones, let us first dig deeper to the nutritional facts of it. These are what makes the fruit beneficial for the health.
Nutritional Value of Lanzones or Langsat
Lanzones is a fruit that is nutritionally rich. It contains a lot of vital elements just like proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, as well as dietary fiber in great quantity. Furthermore, it is also rich in riboflavin, thiamine, as well as vitamin A. These are necessary for a lot of body functions.
In a hundred grams of lanzones or langsat, there are:
|Ascorbic Acid||1 milligram|
|Vitamin A||13 IU|
Health Benefits of Lanzones
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of lanzones:
- Helps in treating dysentery: research shows that the extract of the tree bark of lanzones is beneficial treating dysentery disease. Moreover, there are also some cultures that use langsat tree is useful as a treatment for dysentery.
- Helps in preventing malaria: the extract of the lanzones fruit is beneficial in interrupting the life cycle of the Plasmodium falciparum and are active against the parasite’s chloroquine-resistant strain.
- Helps in treating insect bites: the bark of the lanzones tree is beneficial in treating various insect bites. Not only that, it can also be beneficial in treating even scorpion bites.
- Helps in strengthening the bones and teeth: the vitamin A content of lanzones is beneficial in maintaining the health of the bones as well as the teeth. Not only that, its phosphorus content is also useful in the formation of the bone and the teeth.
- Helps in treating fever and worm infection: the seeds of the lanzones are beneficial in reducing fever. This is because the seeds contain various compounds that amazingly get rid of the illness. Not only that, the seeds are also useful in the treatment for worm infections.
- helps in countering cancer: the flesh of lanzones is beneficial for the diet. Not only that, the skin of the fruit is also oozing with various nutrients and compounds. In fact, it is useful in getting rid of the cancer cells in the body. this is what makes it one of the best health benefits of lanzones.
- Helps in diet: lanzones helps in making the body more efficient because of it contains riboflavin that is beneficial for the releasing of the energy from the consumed carbohydrates.
Eating lanzones can be a bit tricky. Even though all you need to do is to squeeze it gently, and the skin will pop up open, it is very significant to be careful not to bite the seeds of it. This is since it tastes bitter. Regardless of that, lanzones is undeniably one of the healthiest fruits here on earth.