Are you a fruit lover? Well, if not, then this may change your mind! Fruits are both healthy snacks and nutrient dense. Truly, you will can never go wrong with them. There are a variety of fruits that are widely available in markets. One of these is langsat, also known as lanzones. Not only does this fruit taste amazing, it also has the most staggering health benefits which no other fruit can surpass. The health benefits of lanzones is so amazing affecting your overall health. If you are interested in knowing more about this fruit, feel free to give this article a read!
What are Lanzones?
Table of Contents
Lanzones, or langsat, is a fruit that belongs to the family Maliaceae. Originally, lanzones is cultivated in the western part of Southeast Asia, even considered to be a provincial flower of Indonesia, more specifically South Sumatra. Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Thailand are considered to be the biggest producers of lanzones. Their production is mostly for domestic consumption, even though some of it is exported to the countries of Singapore and Hong Kong.
The lanzones fruit isn’t that large. It has an oval shape with an outer diameter of about 2 to 5 centimeters. Furthermore, the flesh of the fruit is a bit yellowish and has a leathery skin that is usually marked by brown spots. In fact, it is rare to find a lanzones that has no spots on its skin.
The inside of the fruit has about 5 to 6 divisions of juicy and translucent flesh. It has a sour and sweet taste, but when it’s ripe it becomes sweet. The fruit famous for its taste, because each of the segments is healthy and delicious.
While it can be cooked, lanzones is commonly eaten raw. Despite this, you can buy it in specialty grocery stores as either canned or cadied. There are also larger varieties of lanzones, known as Duku.
Before we get into the health benefits of lanzones, let us first dig deeper into its nutritional facts, as these are what make the fruit beneficial to your health.
Nutritional Value of Lanzones, or Langsat
Lanzones is a fruit that is nutritionally rich. It contains a lot of vital elements such as proteins, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, as well as dietary fiber in great quantity. Furthermore, it is also rich in riboflavin, thiamine and vitamin A. These are necessary for a lot of bodily functions.
In every hundred grams of lanzones, or langsat, there are:
|Ascorbic Acid||1 milligram|
|Vitamin A||13 IU|
Health Benefits of Lanzones
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of lanzones:
- Helps treat dysentery: research shows that the extract of the tree bark of lanzones is beneficial in treating dysentery disease. In fact, there are some cultures which use langsat tree specifically as a treatment for dysentery.
- Helps prevent malaria: the extract of the lanzones fruit is beneficial in interrupting the life cycle of Plasmodium falciparum, and is active against the parasite’s chloroquine-resistant strain.
- Helps treat insect bites: the bark of the lanzones tree is beneficial in treating various insect bites. Not only that, it can even be beneficial in treating scorpion bites.
- Helps strengthen bones and teeth: the vitamin A content of lanzones is beneficial in maintaining the health of bones as well as teeth. Not only that, its phosphorus content is also useful in the formation of bones and teeth.
- Helps treat fever and worm infection: the seeds of the lanzones are beneficial in reducing fever. This is because the seeds contain various compounds that, amazingly, get rid of the illness. Not only that, the seeds are also useful in the treatment of worm infections.
- Helps counter cancer: the flesh of lanzones is beneficial for the diet, but the skin of the fruit is also oozing with various nutrients and compounds. In fact, it is useful in getting rid of cancer cells in the body. This is one of the best health benefits of lanzones.
- Helps with the diet: lanzones helps make the body more efficient because it contains riboflavin, beneficial for releasing of energy from consumed carbohydrates.
Eating lanzones can be a bit tricky. Even though all you need to do is to squeeze it gently, and the skin will pop up open, it is very important to be careful not to bite the seeds as they taste bitter. Regardless, lanzones is undeniably one of the healthiest fruits here on earth.