Have you heard of the marshmallow root before? Well, this particular plant has a history that only a few know. In fact, it has been used for centuries now to treat various infections, improve the skin’s health and aid in digestion. If you want to learn more, keep reading! You’re sure to learn a lot.
What is Marshmallow Root?
Table of Contents
When I talk about marshmallow root, I’m not talking about the puffy, cylindrical campfire favourite. Marshmallow is actually a plant native to various regions of Europe and Africa. It has been used for many centuries to prepare various herbal treatments, and its use as a folk remedy can be traced back to Ancient Greece and Egypt, over 3,000 years ago.
The marshmallow plant has gained traction and importance in Ayurvedic medicine as a potential treatment for lung conditions, digestive issues, bacterial infections and various skin illnesses.
Scientifically known as Althaea officinalis, it is a perennial herb whose healing prowess is thanks to its mucilage. Typically consumed in tea form, you can also get it as a tincture or a capsule. Marshmallow root is a common ingredient in skin products and cough syrups.
How is Marshmallow Root Good for You?
Marshmallow root is a kind of natural mucilage, which means that it acts as a soft fiber and swells up when it comes into contact with water. This particular quality makes the root create a special protective coating all over the membranes. Moreover, the root has flavonoids, antioxidants, amino acids (like asparagine), pectin, and other compounds (like quercetin, tannins, phenolic acids and coumarin).
Studies suggest that these compounds are essential in improving the functioning of the mucous membranes in the respiratory system, thus preventing the onset of various serious conditions. Furthermore, the antioxidants in the root are also beneficial in preventing oxidative damage in the body. This offers another set of amazing health benefits.
Marshmallow Root: Nutritional Profile
Marshmallow root contains the following nutrients, all of which are essential for the body:
|Polyunsaturated: 0 grams||Dietary Fiber: 0 grams|
|Total Fat: 0 grams||Potassium: 0 milligrams|
|Trans Fat: 0 grams||Protein: 0 grams|
|Calories: 20||Sodium: 0 milligrams|
|Monounsaturated: 0 grams||Sugars: 0 grams|
|Saturated: 0 grams||Total crabs: 0 grams|
|Cholesterol: 0 milligrams|
Health Benefits of Marshmallow Roots
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of marshmallow root:
- Helps treat skin conditions. Marshmallow root helps soothe the skin’s nerve system, thus reducing irritation. It can be topically used to treat burns, wounds, chapped skin and peeling skin.
- Helps reduce water retention. The diuretic effects of marshmallow root are beneficial in reducing water retention, which helps treat enema and bloating.
- Helps enhance digestive health. Marshmallow root is essential in relieving various digestive issues, including constipation, diarrhea, acid reflux and heartburn. In fact, it helps coat the inner lining of the stomach and prevents any burning sensations.
- Helps boost heart health. One of the main causes of heart conditions is inflammation, so it’s a good thing that marshmallow root can fight this. It may also improve heart health, and various studies show it has an effect in elevating good cholesterol levels.
- Helps get rid of bacterial infections. The symptoms of any infections, like tenderness, swelling or burning, may be treated by taking marshmallow root. As a matter of fact, this root is beneficial in killing bacteria and accelerating the healing process.
- May help combat lung cancer. The antioxidant properties of marshmallow root help prevent the growth of cancerous tumors in the lungs. Moreover, it might also help clear mucus in the body. This is one of the best health benefits of marshmallow root.
- Helps treating coughs and colds. The mucilage and antitussive properties of marshmallow root decrease throat irritation and reduce swelling in the lymph nodes.
There is no denying that this root is really astounding, and that its benefits are unique and amazing. So if you want to take your health to the next level, try marshmallow root!