Have you ever tried pomelo? Do you know what it is? Pomelo is a citrus fruit which offers a lot of essential nutrients. The fruit can improve your dental and oral health, aid in weight loss, protect your heart health, prevent cancer, reduce the signs of premature aging, improve bone health and prevent anemia. Not only that, it can also be used to reduce cramping, lower blood pressure, improve digestion, treat urinary tract infections and boost immunity. There is more to the fruit than meets the eye! In this article, we’ll tell you more about this fruit and its countless benefits, so keep reading to learn more!
What is a Pomelo?
Pomelo is a citrus fruit closely related to grapefruits and other members of the genus citrus. Scientifically, it is known as Citrus maxima because it is the largest among all the citrus fruits. The fruit is mainly found in Southeast Asia, and it has not been adopted for global use quite yet because it takes about 8 years to grow before it bears any fruit. Additionally, much of the fruit is inedible and tough.
Pomelo has a pleasant taste, avoiding the tangy or tart flavours of most citrus fruits. The outside of the fruit is yellow or pale green, while the flesh is a pulpy red, white or pink, depending on the variety.
Historic use of pomelo dates back hundreds of years, though it’s strongly suspected that South Asian countries have been cultivating it for longer than there is evidence for.
Health Benefits of Pomelo
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of pomelo:
- Helps prevent cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of pomelo. The fruit is capable of fighting off the free radicals in the body, and it also helps promote the growth of immune cells and antibodies. This stops the formation of bacteria, preventing the growth of cancerous cells.
- Speeds up healing. The vitamin C in pomelo is essential in replacing dead tissue with healthy tissue. Not only that, it also helps promote wound healing.
- Aids in oral health. The vitamin C content of the fruit is beneficial in the production of collagen, which makes the tissues, cells and organs stronger. Furthermore, this also boosts the strength of oral surfaces such as gums.
- Possesses anti-aging properties. The high levels of vitamin C in pomelo may act as antioxidants, seeking out the dangerous free radicals. One of the adverse effects of free radicals is the degradation of skin, which can speed up the signs of aging.
- Helps improving bone health. The potassium content of pomelo is essential in preventing osteoporosis, as well as the general bone weakness all over the body. Furthermore, potassium intake is essential in improving bone mineral density.
- Aids in weight loss. There is a fat-burning quality in pomelo which may be beneficial in reducing weight.
- Helps regulate blood pressure. Pomelo is a great source of potassium. This works as a vasodilator, meaning it releases tension in the blood vessels and helps increase circulation and organ oxygenation.
Cautions for Pomelo
The rich levels of potassium and vitamin C in pomelo can make it dangerous for patients who have kidney and liver conditions. Furthermore, patients with hypotension may also be in danger, as pomelo may lower blood pressure levels significantly.
Other than that, rest easy that you can enjoy pomelo to your heart’s content!
The main reason pomelo is so popular is because of its strong nutritional content, which includes magnesium, vitamin B6, dietary fiber, potassium and vitamin B6. However, more than that, its amazing health benefits make it even more popular.
So, if you want to boost your health status, don’t hesitate to add pomelo to your diet! Don’t worry, this amazing fruit will do wonders for you!