If your own experience with seaweed extends no more than the miso soup or the seaweed salads at some sushi restaurants, then you should get to know about dulse. Actually, dulse is a lesser-known type of seaweed, which could soon be more of a staple not just because it has amazing health benefits. The seaweed also has amazing taste when it is cooked. In actual fact, it tastes similar to bacon. Furthermore, the said health benefits of dulse are all astounding and are all for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know more, feel free tog give this read this article.
Dulse: What is this?
Scientifically, dulse is called Palmaria palmate. Dulse is actually an alga that is consists of short stipe or stem and wide red-colored leaves or fronds, which are somewhat leathery and thick in texture. Furthermore, all of the distinctions of this particular red alga actually has a rich combination of minerals. Even though some of which grow quicker than the others, and may have several flavors varying on the geographic location.
Dulse is a nutrient-rich type of alga and has actually been a very important source of food for more than one thousand years now, in different regions of the world. Primarily, dulse cultivates on the northern shores of the major oceans of the world. In fact, it is also readily accessible in various areas. Most of the time, the alga can be harvested using the bare hands from the coastline and dry it. Moreover, you may also grind, chop, or fry it for some medicinal or culinary purposes.
Furthermore, dulse is also beneficial in adding flavor to salads as well as in soups. Additionally, it is useful as an herb for flavoring purposes as well. Also, you can use it as a side dish to meat cuisines. The Palmaria palmata is actually the ones that are commonly used among the varieties. However, there are some others that are available in the more striking locales or even in export shops.
Moreover, dulse is quite similar to seaweeds in various ways. However, it has more fiber content and has more protein. Moreover, it is said as well that it is more delicious and mouthwatering than the other.
Nutritional Facts of Dulse
Dulse is an edible seaweed, which contains lots and lots of nutrients. A ¼ ounce serving of this alga contains 18 calories already. Not just that, it is also cholesterol and fat-free. Though it is not a significant source of protein, fiber, or carbohydrates, it is still rich in various vitamins and minerals.
In fact, it is rich in Iodine, there are about 1,169 micrograms of it in a ¼ ounce serving. Furthermore, dulse is also oozing with vitamin B6 or what we call pyridoxine. This is beneficial in the production of neurotransmitters, hormones, and red blood cells, development of the nervous system, as well as help in the energy metabolism.
The iron content of dulse, on the other hand, is in fact 2 milligrams, this is equivalent to 25% of the daily recommended dietary allowance on man and is 11% on a woman. There is also about 547 milligrams of potassium in a serving of dulse. This already can fulfill over 11% of the daily potassium needs of the body.
However, there is a risk if you eat dulse excessively. This is when you have concerns about your sodium intake. Because there are about 122 milligrams of sodium in a serving of dulse. Always remember that excessive consumption of the mineral may increase the risk of stroke, hypertension, and heart disease.
Health Benefits of Dulse
Here are some of the most surprising health benefits of dulse:
- Helps prevent chronic illnesses: the vitamins and minerals that are in dulse are beneficial in providing a large number of antioxidant properties that support in getting rid of free radicals.
- Help improve the blood circulation: a huge amount of iron is present in dulse, thus making it beneficial for the betterment of the blood circulation.
- Helps in strengthening the nervous system: the polyunsaturated fats in dulse is beneficial not only for the heart, as well as the brain and the nervous system. Moreover, studies have also linked that the rich levels of omega-3 are capable of improving the brain activity as well as the function of the nervous system.
- Helps improve digestion: just like seaweed, dulse is rich in dietary fiber, thus adding it to the diet can be beneficial in regulating the digestive processes. Particularly to those who are suffering from diarrhea and constipation.
- Helps prevent thyroid conditions: the rich iodine content of dulse is beneficial in keeping the thyroid gland behave in a normal manner.
- Helps in boosting the immunity: this is one of the best health benefits of dulse, especially to those who have a weak immune system. The vitamin C content of the seaweed is beneficial in increasing the white blood cells in the body. this contributes to the growth as well as in the repair processes in the body.
Undeniably, dulse is more than meets the eye. It is not just a delightful seaweed, its health benefits are also staggering as well.