It does not seem so nice to give a fruit a name that is based on its appearance. But I am going to let it slide this time with the ugli fruit. This very unattractive fruit is just ugly on the outside, but what it can do to your health is enormous and amazing. Give this article a read and get to know more about the fruit, and what it can do to your health. Mind you, the health benefits of ugli fruit are all wide-ranging, and are all for the betterment of the health. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!
Ugli Fruit: What is this?
Although it isn’t the ugliest of all fruits in the whole wide world, ugli fruit has a dreary appearance, with a copious, yellow-green rind. Its grind is so wobbly and leathery, which it almost moves out when you start pulling it all off. Nevertheless, do not let its unassertive exterior to fool you. Why? Well, because this speckled green citrus fruit is really delicious.
The tangelo variant of the fruit actually tastes reminiscent to the other citrus fruits. This is for the reason that, in a certain way, being a crossbreed between some other citrus fruits. Furthermore, specialists note that the size of ugli fruit opposes that of the grapefruit, having a much sweeter, much milder, taste, the fibrous part inside as well as the minor protrusion at its base, which appears to be an outie belly button. Not just that the ugli fruit possess distinct characteristics, the ugli fruit has an fascinating heredity as well.
Moreover, the ugli fruit is a crossbred fruit that is mainly found in a tropical climate. This kind of citrus fruit is an amazing source of vitamin C, fiber, and many other essential nutrients like coumarin and pectin. It has just been around for the last 100 years, yet in that time has already developed a very explicit reputation of an exceptionally sweet yet tangy flavor.
To be precise, the ugli fruit is the Jamaican type of tangelo, which, in general, is a breed of the grapefruit and tangerine. Hence, do not let its outward presence fool you. The ugli fruit is worth it! Why? Well, this is because the ugli fruit has a lot of amazing health benefits. These health benefits of ugli fruit will be discussed below.
Nutritional Value of Ugli Fruit
Simply put, the ugli fruit is a combination of three different fruits, the tangerine, the orange, and the grapefruit. Its name ‘ugli fruit’ is actually trademarked by a certain company that markets the said crossbred fruit.
Moreover, the species of the ugli fruit is referred to as the Citrus reticulate x Citrus paradise. It’s found growing in the wild. This is the same way as the grapefruit’s coming about in the country of Jamaica. The ugli fruit possesses some of the astounding nutritional benefits of its very own three ‘parental’ fruits.
One serving of the ugli fruit or about 122 grams may contain the following essential nutrients:
- Calcium: 20 milligrams or 2% of the daily value need
- Vitamin C: 42 milligrams or 70% of the daily value need
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 1 gram
- Carbohydrates: 11 grams
- Calories: 45
Just like all the fruits, the ugli fruit also possesses incredible antioxidant properties, in addition to vitamin C, as well as some other important nutrients.
Moreover, nutritionally, the ugli fruit is most close to the orange, even though they are not identical. Oranges produce more calories per serving than the ugli fruit. Nevertheless, they contain more sugar and fiber. Moreover, they double the ugli fruit in the presence of the vitamin C too.
Health Benefits of Ugli Fruit
Here are some of the most astonishing health benefits of ugli fruit:
- Helps in dissolving gallstones and kidney stones. The terpenes content of the fruit is not just essential in fighting cancer, it is also capable of dissolving the kidney and gallstones.
- May help in reducing the risk of cancer. The ugli fruit has coumarin in it. This is a chemical that is naturally present in different kinds of plants. Moreover, coumarin can also be an alternative to various chemotherapy medications. This is one of the best health benefits of ugli fruit.
- Good for the heart. Because of its high levels of antioxidants, the ugli fruit is essential in protecting the heart against any illnesses or abnormal functions.
- Helps in fighting diabetes. The low-calorie content of the ugli fruit is essential in fighting off diabetes.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. Just like any other citrus fruits, the ugli fruit has antioxidants, like the vitamin C. These are essential nutrients as they fight the damage that the free radicals may cause to the body.
- Helps in losing weight. The presence of fiber and low-calorie content of the ugli fruit is essential in losing weight.
Generally, though the ugli fruits are certainly valuable nutritionally, common oranges may offer the same and sometimes better nutritional value. Nevertheless, no one will opt to eat the same food every day, isn’t it? The ugli fruit may offer a different taste than the traditional citrus fruits since they combine more than only one flavor.