Can a flower be a lifesaver? It turns out, probably. One flower that provides a lot of health benefits is known as the bougainvillea. This flower usually blooms in regions with a warmer climate. The health benefits of bougainvillea are staggering and uniquely beneficial for the betterment of human health.
Bougainvillea: What is It?
Table of Contents
Bougainvillea is actually a genus of the thorny ornamental bushes, vines, and trees with leaves, situated near the real flowers, that look like flowers. There are various authors who claim that there are about 4 to 18 species of the flower in the genus.
The vine species of bougainvillea actually grow from about 1 to 12 meters tall. They’ll grow right over other plants with their spiky, waxy, black-tipped thorns. They are evergreen in areas where there’s rainfall year-round, and they’re deciduous in dry seasons/climates.
The flower-looking leaves of the bougainvillea are 2 to 6 centimeters wide and 4 to 13 centimeters long. The real flowers of the plant are actually smaller and are generally white in color. However, each cluster of three flowers is, in fact, surrounded by three to six brightly colored leaves. The colors of the flower-looking spring leaves are yellow, white, orange, red, purple, magenta, or pink.
typically don’t attract pests. However, they may suffer from snails, aphids, and worms. Moreover, the larvae of some species of Lepidoptera, such as the giant leopard moth, use bougainvillea as their food plants.
Bougainvillea became popular ornamental plants that grow mostly in warm climates. The growth rate of the flower actually varies from slow to rapid, depending on what variety it is. Additionally, bougainvillea tends to flower all year long in the equatorial regions. Elsewhere, bougainvillea is seasonal and has bloom cycles, which are typically four to six weeks long. The flower grows best in dry soils, in very bright sun, and with frequent fertilization.
Contents of Bougainvillea Flower
Here’s what you can find in the bougainvillea flower:
- Essential oils
- Phenolic compounds
- Oxalic acid
Uses of Bougainvillea
If you are passionate about gardening, you should not only know how to take care of your own plants. but you should also be knowledgeable of their uses. There are various plants, which are beneficial in a number of ways. The uses may range from medicinal to aesthetic.
Bougainvillea can be used in adding beauty to various extents. For instance, you can use the flowers in a showy purpose. You may also use them in decorating walls, hedges, gates, and fences.
As humans, we are dependent on plants. Indirectly or directly, they are one of the major sources of food for us human beings. A number of plants are also useful in the field of medicine. The same goes for this particular flower. The health benefits of bougainvillea are what makes it a good addition to various medications.
Health Benefits of Bougainvillea
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of bougainvillea:
- Rich source of antioxidants: The extract of the bougainvillea flower is very rich in antioxidants. In a test, it was found to be beneficial in killing all kinds of free radicals in the body.
- Helps in killing bacteria: The leaf of the bougainvillea can be made into an extract, which may be beneficial in treating diarrhea as well as some other gastrointestinal illnesses.
- Helps treat digestive problems: The compounds living in the leaves of bougainvillea have soothing and anti-inflammatory effects in the intestine, making it essential in treating various digestive conditions.
- Helps in treating coughs: When you make a tea out of the flowers of bougainvillea, it may help you in relieving your cough. Not just that, it may also help in relieving the pain in your throat.
- Helps in cleansing the body naturally: The bougainvillea flower is beneficial in purging. It also helps in flushing and removing various toxic substances from the body and in cleansing the organs, specifically the liver.
- Acts as an antitussive agent: The flower, as we know, is a natural expectorant. Thus, it is beneficial in promoting the discharge, or the expulsion, of respiratory tract mucus.
- Enhances the respiratory system: Bougainvillea is useful in improving the respiratory system of the body. It also aids the proper functioning of the lungs.
Bougainvillea truly is more than just a beautiful, ornamental plant, it also oozes health benefits.