Can a flower be a lifesaver? Oh well, we never know until we get to know a certain one. One flower that can give a lot of health benefits is bougainvillea. This flower usually blooms in various regions with a warm climate. Furthermore, the health benefits of bougainvillea are all staggering and are all uniquely beneficial for the betterment of the health. If you want to know these and many more, feel free to give this article a read.
Bougainvillea: What is this?
Table of Contents
Bougainvillea is actually a genus of the thorny ornamental bushes, vines, and trees with leaves that look like flowers near the real flowers. There are various authors who claim that there are about 4 to 18 species of the flower in the genus.
The vine species of bougainvillea actually grow from about 1 to 12 meters tall. Furthermore, it also scrambles over some other plants with their own spiky thorns. Moreover, the thorns are tipped with black and waxy substance. Also, they are evergreen, wherein the rainfall occurs all year round, or a deciduous one if it is in a dry season.
The leaves of bougainvillea are alternate, meek ovate-acuminate, , 2 to 6 centimeters broad and 4 to 13 centimeters long. The real flower of the plant is actually small and is generally white. However, each of the clusters of three flowers is in fact, surrounded by three to six bracts that has bright and astounding colors. The colors of the flower-looking spring leaves are yellow, white, orange, red, purple, magenta, or pink.
Furthermore, bougainvillea is plants that are fairly free of the pest. However, they may suffer from snails, aphids, and worms. Moreover, the larvae of some species of Lepidoptera use them as their food plants, an example of which is the giant leopard moth.
Moreover, bougainvillea is popular ornamental plants that grow mostly in warm climates. The growth rate of the flower actually varies from slow to rapid. This depends on what variety it is. Additionally, bougainvillea tends to flower all year long in the equatorial regions. Elsewhere, bougainvillea is seasonal and has bloom cycles, which are typically four to six weeks. The flower grows best in dry soils, in a very bright sun, and with frequent fertilization.
Contents of Bougainvillea Flower
Here are some of the types of compounds present in the bougainvillea flower:
- Essential oils
- Phenolic compounds
- Oxalic acid
Uses of Bougainvillea
If you are passionate about gardening, you should not only know how to take care of your own plants. You should also be knowledgeable of its uses. There are various plants, which are beneficial in a number of ways. The uses may be of a number of types: medicinal benefits, beauty benefits, and aesthetic benefits.
Bougainvillea can be used in adding beauty to various extents. For instance, you can use the flowers in a showy purpose. You may also use it in decorating walls, hedges, gates, as well as in fences.
Us, humans are dependent on plants. Indirectly or directly, they are one of the major sources of foods for us human beings together with some animals. A number of plants are also useful in the field of medicine. The same goes for this particular flower. The health benefits of bougainvillea are what makes it a good addition to various medications.
Health Benefits of Bougainvillea
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of bougainvillea:
- Rich source of antioxidant: the extract of the bougainvillea flower is very rich in antioxidants. In a test, it was found to be beneficial in killing all kinds of free radicals in the body.
- Helps in killing bacteria: the leaf of the bougainvillea can be made into an extract, which may be beneficial in treating diarrhea as well as some other gastrointestinal illnesses.
- Help treat digestive problems: the compounds living in the leaves of bougainvillea have soothing and anti-inflammatory effects in the intestine. Thus, making it essential in treating various digestive conditions.
- Helps in treating coughs: when you make a tea out of the flowers of bougainvillea, it may help you in relieving your cough. Not just that, it may also help in relieving the pain in your throat.
- Helps in cleansing the body naturally: the bougainvillea flower is beneficial in purging. Furthermore, it also helps in flushing and removing various toxic substances in the body. Moreover, it also helps in cleansing the organs, specifically the liver.
- Acts as an antitussive agent: the flower, as we know, is a natural expectorant. Thus it is beneficial in promoting the discharge or the expulsion of the mucus that is from the respiratory tract.
- Enhances the respiratory system: bougainvillea is beneficial in improving the respiratory system of the body. Furthermore, it also helps in the proper functioning of the lungs.
Bougainvillea truly is not just an ornamental plant that posses an astounding beauty, it is also oozing with so many health benefits.