When talking about fruit, the first fruits to cross your mind might be bananas, grapes, oranges, or apples. It’s now common knowledge that some fruits are oozing with health benefits and many people choose common fruits to reap those benefits. However, did you know that there are a lot of exotic and rare fruits all over the planet and some are extremely nutritious? One such fruit is called the canistel fruit. Canistel is one fruit that you should get to know because eating it can improve your overall health. Read on to learn more about this exotic fruit.
Canistel Fruit: What is It?
Canistel fruit, scientifically known as Pouteria campechiana, is actually an evergreen tree that comes from the Sapotaceae family. Despite the fact that the canistel fruit is originally from Central America and Mexico, it is also famous in various countries in the region of Asia. In fact, it has been cultivated commercially in the countries of Sri Lanka, Philippines, Vietnam, Indonesia, as well as some tropical parts of Taiwan. The meat of the fruit is so sweet and is often eaten fresh, although some enjoy the fruit as jam.
The canistel fruit has a glowing yellow color and a waxy skin. The flesh of it has the same consistency as an egg yolk of a hard-boiled egg. As stated earlier, it is highly superior in tropical countries and is seldom grown in the United States. The canistel fruit varies in shape and size and ranges from round to pointed to ovaloid.
Funny enough, it’s is also known as the eggfruit. As stated earlier, the flesh of the canistel fruit is similar in texture to an egg yolk that’s been hardboiled. Unlike any other fruits, canistel is not juicy, and inside of the flesh, there is a large, polished brown or black seed.
Nutritional Facts of Canistel
When we talk about the nutritional facts of the canistel fruit, there are more to it than meets the eye. In fact, canistel is rich in various minerals and vitamins. The yellow color of canistel fruit is actually a large indicator that it is really an outstanding source of vitamin C, vitamin A, and beta-carotene. Various minerals like calcium and iron hide in watery flesh, and the fruit contains a notable amount of fats, calories, and carbohydrates as well.
100 grams of canistel fruit has:
|Total Fat||1 gram|
|Trans fat||0 gram|
|Monounsaturated fat||0 gram|
|Polyunsaturated fat||0 gram|
|Saturated fat||0 gram|
|Dietary fiber||8 grams|
|Total carbohydrates||32 grams|
|Iron 0%||Vitamin C 0%|
|Calcium 0%||Vitamin A 0%|
Uses of Canistel Fruit
Here are the different uses of canistel fruit:
- Eggfruit nog or milkshake. You can make this using canistel pulp, nutmeg, vanilla, sugar, milk, and of course, a mixer.
- Canistel’s pureed flesh can be beneficial in custards or can be a good addition to homemade ice cream.
- Some enjoy fresh or lightly baked canistel fruit with mayonnaise, lemon juice, lime, pepper, or salt.
- You can eat it raw too for a sweet snack.
Health Benefits of Canistel
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of canistel:
- Great source of iron: Iron, as we know, is one of the most beneficial minerals. The iron in canistel helps in the production of the hemoglobin, which helps in carrying oxygen to various parts of the body.
- Aids in digestive health: The rich dietary fiber content of canistel is beneficial for digestive health. As we know, dietary fiber helps in the promotion of the regular bowel movements by way of bulking stools.
- Helps boost immunity: The ascorbic acid content of the fruit is beneficial in boosting immunity, making it useful in preventing various illnesses, such as a cold and the flu.
- Aids in eye health: The provitamin A content of canistel are actually carotenoids, which aid eye health.
- Helps in lowering the risk of diabetes: This is undeniably one of the best health benefits of canistel. What makes it work is the Niacinamide chemical substance in the fruit is known to be effective in the prevention of diabetes.
- Prevents cancer: The beta-carotene, vitamin C, and vitamin A content of the fruit are beneficial in preventing the onset of tumors that can become cancerous.
Undeniably, canistel is an amazing fruit that is oozing with so many health benefits. So, try it now and be healthier than before!