There are lots and lots of foods that we eat often that we don’t know what’s in them. Maybe, one of which is the chicken. Chicken is one of the staple foods in almost all of the countries all over the world. Not only because it is a healthy food. But it is also a good addition to the diet. Furthermore, the health benefits of chicken are also amazing and are all for the betterment of the overall health. If you want to know all of these and more, feel free to give this article a read.
What is Chicken?
As we know, chicken is one of the most conventional types of poultry that is consumed all over the world. In fact, it has already been raised and is consumed as a food for thousands and thousands of years. Furthermore, it is also assumed that chickens were actually first raised in the country of India for a thousand years now.
They primarily use chicken for the purpose of cockfighting and then, later on, they consider eating its meat for consumption. Well ahead, the use of chicken extend to some other regions in Europe, Africa, Asia, and sooner or later in America. In America, the ones who brought chicken are the early colonist from Europe.
It is in the 19th century that chickens are often domesticated for households. Not only for their meats, but for their eggs as well. In fact, a lot of eggs are actually used in the bartering systems. Furthermore, in the last part of the said century and in the early part of the 20th century, the chicken farming in households gave way to the farming of chicken as one big business because of the increase of its request from cities.
Furthermore, the large-scale of chicken farming also gave a rise in a number of breeds because those who breed had to raise the chicken production. Various breeds have now been established since then. Chicken regardless of its breed is so healthy and contains lots and lots of nutritional values.
Nutritional Value of Chicken
Even though chicken is a very lean meat that has a load of proteins, it is also high in cholesterol levels. Nonetheless. Chicken is capable of providing selenium, which has antioxidants that are beneficial for the control of various free radicals in the body as well as improve the immunity.
One cup of chopped chicken has:
|Total Fat||6 grams|
|Saturated Fat||2 grams|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 gram|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2 grams|
|Vitamins and Minerals|
|Pantothenic Acid||1.4 milligrams|
|Vitamin B6||0.8 milligrams|
Aside from those that are included above, chicken also has 65 grams of Moisture, 215 Kcal if Energy, and 75 milligrams of Cholesterol. Furthermore, a hundred grams of chicken also have:
- 70 milligrams of Sodium
- 20 milligrams of Magnesium
- 9 milligrams of Iron
- Vitamin E
- 11 milligrams of Calcium
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin C
Health Benefits of Chicken
The health benefits of chicken are so many. We know that too well. These health benefits include the following:
- Helps in treating a common cold: the intake of chicken soup can be beneficial as a relief from common cold. Furthermore, it is also effective in treating symptoms like a sore throat and congested nose.
- Helps in reducing the levels of cholesterol: the cholesterol, as well as the saturated fat in the chicken, are way lower than that of the lamb, pork, and beef. This s the sole reason that many specialists advise the consumption of chicken to lower or reduce the risk of cholesterol. Which may eventually develop to heart illnesses.
- Helps in reducing the risk for cancer: the risk of developing various types of cancer can be reduced when you eat fish or chicken meat instead of beef and pork. This is one of the best health benefits of chicken.
- Helps in controlling the blood pressure level: consuming chicken may help in controlling the blood pressure. This is mainly observed with those who have hypertension. The vitamins, minerals, and some other compounds in the chicken are the main reason for this particular benefit.
- Helps in losing weight: various diet plans that have high levels of proteins are effective in reducing weight. One good addition to the diet is chicken for its high protein content, and also some other nutrients in it.
- Good source of vitamins and minerals: not only that chicken is rich in protein, it is also oozing with so many nutrients. For instance, the B vitamins in it are beneficial in the prevention of cataracts as well as various skin disorders.
- High levels of protein: the protein content of chicken is so high, thus making it beneficial on giving enough energy to the body.