Have you heard of the cod liver oil before? Do you know what this is? Do you know what the qualities that it possesses? What if I tell you that this amazing oil is a powerhouse of various essential nutrients? You may think that this is a hoax, but it’s not! There really are some essential nutrients in the cod liver oil. And all of which make up all the necessary health benefits of cod liver oil. As a matter of fact, it is beneficial in lowering the level of cholesterol in the body, reduce the risk of diabetes, arthritis, asthma, osteoporosis, depression, and even cancer. Actually, there is more to it than meets the eye. If you want to learn more about this amazing oil, feel free to give this article a read.
Cod Liver Oil: What is this?
The cod liver oil comes from, of course, the liver of the codfish. This particular oil is rich in (DHA) Docosahexaenoic acid, (EPA) Eicosapentaenoic acid, and omega 3 fatty acids. Furthermore, also a nutritional supplement possess high levels of vitamin D and vitamin A. All of these essential nutrients are beneficial in the human body in a lot of ways. Moreover, it is also essential in stimulating the healthy functioning of the organs.
In addition, the cod liver oil is a translucent, oily, pale yellow liquid, which has a strong odor that’s the same with the seafood. It also has a bland taste. In today’s day and time, traders frequently add peppermint and fruit flavors in it to make the cod liver oil more appealing and more appetizing to consumers. Nevertheless, the quality of oil is the main factor in deciding the smell of it. A good quality cod liver oil has a bit of a sardine-type flavor. You can avail this in liquid form in various drug stores and pharmacies. Nonetheless, if you don’t want the smell of the oil itself, you can avail it in a pill or capsule form.
The cod liver oil production is accurately done via advanced technology. Moreover, in the past, the cod liver oil was also given to children, due to its high levels of vitamin D, which may prevent rickets as well as some other vitamin D deficiency conditions. Nevertheless, some other supplements of vitamin D are recommended for the same thing. This is in order to avoid the adverse effects of the cod liver oil, if you use it in excess.
Nutritional Content of Cod Liver Oil
The cod liver oil may provide a lot of health benefits that are mainly due to all of its opulent composition. Furthermore, the nutritional content of the cod liver oil is as follows:
- (DHA) Docosahexaenoic Acid: Helps in improving the eyesight and the nervous system. It also helps in nourishing the skin.
- (EPA) Eicosapentaenoic Acid: Helps in promoting a healthy cardiovascular system, relieves depression, and reduces inflammation issues.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids: Possess some anti-inflammatory properties, which help alleviate the arthritis pain, help in bipolar syndrome, improve the brain function, prevent allergies, reduce stress, and relieve asthma.
- Vitamin D: Helps in maintaining strong and healthy bones.
- Vitamin A: Helps in boosting immunity, improve the eyesight and skin issues, and resist various infections.
Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of cod liver oil:
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The cod liver oil is a rich source of vitamin D. This particular vitamin is important for the body and having a small amount of this may lead to autoimmune diseases and may increase the vulnerability to infection.
- Aids in eye care. The cod liver oil has rich content of vitamin A and vitamin D. Both of these are essential for the maintenance of the healthy vision over a long period of time. Vitamin A is essential in the retention of the normal vision. Not just that, the oil is also beneficial in treating various eye conditions.
- Helps in treating depression. The cod liver oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which may help in reducing the symptoms of depression to those who are suffering from major depression.
- Helps in preventing cancer. Research shows that cod liver oil has a positive effect in treating cancer. As a matter of fact, other studies suggest that following a prescription for cod liver oil may also help in avoiding various types of cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of cod liver oil.
- Aids in skin care. The cod liver oil is traditionally used as an effective treatment for the skin. Applying it in the skin may give a radiant glow in just a span of a few Furthermore, the consumption of cod liver oil in a regular manner may also help in making you look younger.
- Helps in reducing cholesterol The cod liver oil is essential in lowering the bad cholesterol in the body. Moreover, the consumption of this oil may also help in lowering the triglycerides that may be harmful when in excess.