Do you know what is paprika? Do you know this spice? Certainly, you may have heard it or read it when you are searching for some recipes of some dishes. Well, it widely knew all around the world because of the kick and the flavor it gives to different cuisines in different countries. They add it into simple meals also in order to add colors. Even though it is just a simple spice to many people, it still gives the vitamins and minerals and also several health benefits. You are lucky for the reason that we will talk about this spice in this article. Not just that, the health benefits of paprika are in here too.
Paprika: What is this?
Paprika is a spice which is made from the grinding up the dried red fruits of the sweeter and larger varieties of the Capsicum annuum which includes the sweet pepper, chili peppers, cayenne peppers and also the most common for making this spice which is the tomato pepper. It is also considered the fourth most-used spice the world. This spice is also widely known in many different cuisines like the Turkish, Moroccan, Indian, Austrian, Spanish, and especially the Hungarian cuisines.
The question is if this spice is spicy. Well, it depends. The bell peppers in which this spice is made is somewhat more mellow and sweeter. This is if you are comparing it to the extremely spicy jalapeno and cayenne. It makes sense that it is milder in flavor for the reason that it has a lower capsaicin level. Because of that, this spice is not as spicy as the jalapeno or cayenne powder. However, there are some mixes that use the chili peppers in order to add a kick.
This spice also comes in many different colors that range from the bright red to brown. Surprisingly, the yellow or tan are often the spiciest and the red is the mildest. There are several distinct types of this spice which is the regular type, the sweet type, the hot type and the Pimenton de la Vera which is used in different dishes because of different flavors.
Even though it is just a spice, it still gives a lot of vitamins and minerals which our body needed. It contains a low amount of Sodium and Cholesterol. Also, it is a good source of Dietary Fiber, Potassium, Iron, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, Niacin, and Riboflavin.
Below is the nutritional content that can get from the 1 tbsp. or 7 g of this spice.
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Dietary Fiber||2.5 grams||10%|
|Total Fat||0.9 grams||1%|
|Vitamin A||3560 IU||71%|
|Vitamin C||4.8 milligrams||8%|
|Vitamin E||2.0 milligrams||10%|
|Vitamin K||5.4 micrograms||7%|
|Vitamin B6||0.3 milligrams||14%|
This spice is familiar to many people because of the reason that it is usually added to the dishes as a garnish. This spice is also used in order to add a red tint to the stews, meats, and stews.
Remember that you do not have to limit yourself to these uses because this spice is versatile and can use to bring new depths to different meals. Below are some of the uses of this spice around the world:
- Argentina – Tortilla Campesina or potato cake is the traditional dish of this country which uses this spice as the main ingredient.
- Hungary – This country loves this spice that it is considered as the national spice and also featured in goulash which is their national dish. The Hungarians love to blend it into the pasta, cheeses, fish, eggs and sweet pastries.
- Thailand – Aside from this spice added to the Pad Thai, it is also used for the condiments and curry pastes.
- Mexico – This spice is added to sauces and salsas, rubbed into the meats and uses as filling option for some dishes like the chile relleno or stuffed poblano pepper.
Health Benefits of Paprika
Because of the nutritional value which one can get from this spice, it is not that surprising that it will give several health benefits to the body. Below is the list of the health benefits of paprika:
- It helps in treating the skin problems. This spice is loaded with the antibacterial properties which are effective against skin related problems that are associated with bacterial infections like acne.
- It helps in healing the wounds. This spice contains a good portion of the Vitamin E which helps the body to produce the red blood cells. Also, it helps in healing the wound in a rapid way. This is one of the most surprising health benefits of paprika.
- It promotes sound sleep. This spice contains Vitamin B6 which has the powerful psychological and neurotically effects. It supplies the melatonin’s production which helps in maintaining a normal sleep cycle. Also, it enhances the serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the body that enables you to stay stress-free and happy.
- Decreases the risk of the heart attack. This spice contains Vitamin C which provides protection against the cardiovascular diseases like strokes and heart attacks. It also has iron, phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium which help in purifying blood and keep the heath healthy.
- It supports a healthy digestion. This spice promotes a good healthy digestion because it increases the saliva and the stomach acids. Which is beneficial in breaking down the foods and then makes the nutrients available for energy.