Who does not like the sweet and juicy pears, most especially in the strike of the summer heat? These fruits provide some of the much-needed relief with their own fiber-rich lusciousness to be able to get various cooling effects, mainly for the kids. The fiber content of the pears, as well as its antioxidant properties, are beneficial in getting rid of various health conditions, as well as improve the immunity of the body. These are not the only health benefits of pears, there is more to it than just that. Read on to this article to know more about this amazing fruit.
Pears: What really is this?
As we know, pears are sweet and delicious pomaceous fruits that have juicy white flesh. Actually, the terminology, pear is what describes a certain number of bushes and trees that are part of the genus Pyrus. This is a part of the larger family of Rosaceae. Furthermore, there are a wide variety of the pear trees and there’s only a few of them that bear the edible fruits. These fruits are the only ones that can be consumed by us, humans. Many of the varieties of pear are only used as decorative shrubs and trees.
Moreover, the fruit is in fact, the uppermost end of the flower stalk, which is usually narrow at the top and has a wider bottom. On the other hand, this isn’t the specific way to determine a variety of pear ultimately. Some varieties of pear are also in the shape of an apple. Furthermore, the appearance of the flesh that is inside the skin of it is similar to that of the apples. This is even though it is quite grittier in terms of consistency, because of the stone cells present in it. This is actually one of the most obvious differences in between the two fruits, aside from their own taste.
Originally, pears come from China. However, it is also native to the regions of North Africa, Asia, as well as in Europe. Furthermore, there is also some evidence that tells, they are already being consumed even in the prehistoric time. Moreover, pears have also been a part of various diet plans for many years. They are also found in the Chinese lore, Roman history, and in the Celtic literature. They may grow in temperate regions and in cool climates, making them a versatile plant to cultivate.
Nutritional Value of Pears
1 serving of about 100 grams of pears may have the following:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.12 grams||0.5%|
|Dietary Fiber||3.10 grams||8%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.048 milligrams||1%|
|Vitamin A||23 IU||1%|
|Vitamin C||4.2 milligrams||7%|
|Vitamin E||0.12 milligrams||1%|
|Vitamin K||4.5 µg||4%|
Serving Tips of Pears
Here are some serving tips for pears that you may use to enjoy the fruit and its health benefits:
- The dried slices of pear may be a good addition to baby food.
- You may add the pears in juice mixes and add some other fruits like grapes, peaches, and pineapple.
- You may also use pears in preparing fruit pie, jam juice, or even fruit salad.
- Eat them as is, without adding anything to it. This is for you to get the maximum health benefits that it may provide.
Health Benefits of Pears
Here are some of the most staggering health benefits of pears:
- Helps in improving the bone health: the copper, calcium, phosphorus, manganese, and magnesium mineral content of the pears are so high. These minerals are beneficial in reducing the bone mineral loss as well as various bone-related conditions.
- Helps in reducing inflammation: the flavonoid and antioxidant properties of the pears may be beneficial in the reduction of pain that is in association with inflammation.
- Helps in improving the blood circulation: the copper content of the pears are essential in improving the uptake of minerals in the system. This is beneficial in the blood circulation too.
- Helps in improving the heart health: the potassium content of this fruit is high, thus making it essential to improving the heart health. This is since potassium is a well-known vasodilator.
- Helps in preventing cancer: this is one of the best health benefits of pears. The antioxidants in it are the sole reason for it. In fact, it is essential for the prevention of various types of cancer, including breast, colon, prostate, lung, and rectum cancer.
- Helps in losing weight: the pears are one of the fruits that are low in calorie content. Therefore, it is essential in the hopes of losing an extra weight.
Pears truly are one of the best fruits we have here on Earth!