Red Snapper is a type of a fish that is packed with numerous minerals, nutrients and health benefits. If you want to learn more, keep reading!
What is Red Snapper?
Table of Contents
Fish plays an important role in our lives due to the numerous minerals and nutrients it offers. According to the American Heart Association, people should eat it at least twice a week. Some fish contain mercury, though, and should be eaten in moderation.
Red Snapper is a rosy red fish with a dark fringe along the tail and dorsal fins. An adult red snapper can weight 2-4 pounds, although there have been cases of red snapper weighing over 50 pounds. Part of the genus Lutjanus campechanus, red snappers are a warm-water fish found in the Gulf of Mexico. Their fine white meat offers lean protein and many other health benefits. In fact, it is one of the most low-calorie fish in consideration of how many nutrients it offers.
Red snapper is tasty, loved by many seafood enthusiasts for its flaky, mildly sweet skin. While it’s safe to eat in moderation, there are concerns about the presence of mercury. This is offset by the countless health benefits, though.
Nutritional Facts of Red Snapper
When we talk about the nutritional value of red snapper, we’re considering its moderate level of omega-3 fatty acids and significant amounts of magnesium, selenium, vitamin D and vitamin E. Refer to the table below to learn about the other essential nutrients it offers.
|Energy (Kilojoules)||381 KJ|
|Energy (Calories)||90 Kcals/Calories|
|Polyunsaturated fatty acids||0.40 grams|
|Saturated fatty acids||0.30 grams|
|Carotene – Vitamin A||Tr micrograms|
|Vitamin D||2.3 micrograms|
|Retinol – Vitamin A||3 micrograms|
|Vitamin E||N milligrams|
|Vitamin B6||0.44 milligrams|
|Vitamin B12||1.0 micrograms|
|Vitamin C||Tr milligrams|
Uses of Red Snapper
There are a lot of ways to use and enjoy the health benefits of Red Snapper. You can broil, grill or even deep-fry it. It’s good in salads, tacos, noodles or even soup!
Health Benefits of Red Snapper
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of red snapper:
- Prevents Osteoporosis – Insufficient calcium consumption could lead to bone damage or more porous bones. It’s important to get enough calcium to reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Great Source of Vitamin A – Red snapper has a great vitamin A content, which helps smooth the skin and keep your eyes healthy.
- Maintains the Metabolism – Red snapper is loaded with potassium, providing 9.4% of your daily recommended intake. Potassium is important because it activates the various enzymes which are responsible for metabolism. If the body lacks potassium, you can become weak and lack energy.
- Prevents Heart Disease – Potassium also plays an important role in keeping the heart healthy. Eating potassium-rich foods reduces the risk of heart disease.
- Prevents Hollow Tooth – Red Snapper contains calcium, which can help maintain healthy teeth. Like bones, teeth also need calcium to ward off cavities.
- Helps Prevent Megaloblastic Anaemia. The vitamin B12 in red snapper is essential in the formation of healthy red blood cells. A deficiency may lead to anaemia.
The way that you prepare and serve the Red Snapper may affect its nutritional value and health benefits. Another concern is the fish’s mercury content. Too much mercury can affect your cognitive health.