There are lots of types of cooking oil available out there. One is the canola oil. Have you heard of this before? Have you tried using it in cooking? You may not be familiar with canola oil, but this amazing cooking oil is actually one of the most commonly used oils in the whole world. It actually possesses a lot of essential nutrients, which are all beneficial for the health. Not only that, but these are also what make up all the surprising health benefits of canola oil. These include the ability to improve heart health, prevent diabetes, keep high-level brain functioning, reduce cancer risk, boost energy levels, and lower the cholesterol levels, among others. If you want to learn more about the canola oil, feel free to give this article a read.
Canola Oil: What is this?
The canola oil is actually a type of edible cooking oil, which is most usually comes from the varieties of rapeseed. This cooking oil comes from various variations of the mustard seed and is actually yield via the process of genetic modification. This is also the main reason why there’s still some concern about the use of this oil because of its possible toxic effects.
Moreover, canola oil is popular in various areas all over the world as the rapeseed oil. It usually comes in two different varieties, the Double Zero Rapeseed and the Rapeseed 00.
The term rapeseed or canola actually comes from the Latin root word, rapum that means turnip. This is mainly because turnips, rutabaga, cabbage, as well as the like plants are closely in connection to the two common cultivars of the oil that are widely produced in today’s day and time. Furthermore, it’s also been beneficial as a fuel for over thousands of years. Various cultures all throughout the history use it.
Put simply, the canola oil is a result of genetic modification. Research also shows that 90 percent of the canola oil that comes in the US is modified genetically and is valuable primarily to produce vegetable oil. As a matter of fact, the canola oil may also be beneficial in making lipsticks.
Various studies about this genetic modification are still ongoing, as there are claims that say, the oil is not safe for consumption. Even though the oil may contain omega-3 fatty acid, they aren’t effective. If you are going to try some, always check the label of the one that you’ll buy –don’t buy just because the marketing gimmick is nice.
Nutritional Facts of Canola Oil
The canola oil is actually a powerhouse of nutrients. It actually has essential vitamins like vitamin K and vitamin E. Furthermore, its lipid content includes trans fat, polyunsaturated acids, and saturated fatty acids, among others. Moreover, the canola oil has no cholesterol in it, and is a good source of energy. In fact, it has 884 Kcal per 100 grams. The canola oil also has the highest concentration of monounsaturated fats among vegetable oils, excluding the safflower and sunflower oil.
Health Benefits of Canola Oil
Here are some of the most distinct health benefits of canola oil:
- Helps in preventing inflammation. The canola oil is essential in preventing the aching of the joints, as well as the stiffening of the bones due to aging and wear-and-tear. Furthermore, it’s also good for treating arthritis, and some other inflammations due to digestive and respiratory conditions.
- Helps in improving glycemic Research suggests that the canola oil that’s enriched with low GL diet may help in improving the control of those who are suffering from type 2 diabetes.
- Helps in preventing diabetes. The monounsaturated fats in the canola oil don’t just help in the prevention of heart disease. However, these are also beneficial for the maintenance of blood sugar levels. This just means that the chances of developing diabetes are much fewer as there is a balance in glucose levels.
- Helps in improving brain The cognitive function deteriorates as we age, can be seen in conditions like dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Good thing there is an antioxidant in the canola oil, which combats the free radicals and prevents the damages to the brain.
- Helps in reducing the risk of cancer. The antioxidants like vitamin E in the oil are essential in fighting against cancer. The free radicals actually cause healthy cells to mutate and become cancer cells.
- Helps in increasing energy The high levels of essential antioxidants, and zero cholesterol level in the canola oil is essential for the body’s metabolism to move in a normal phase.
- Helps in protecting the cell membrane. The vitamin E in the canola oil is beneficial in protecting the integrity of the cell membranes all over the body. The mucous membranes are essential for the protection of the body against foreign substances.