Are you or someone you love experience sleep apnea? Well, this is a conditions that causes your own breathing to stop time after time. This particular condition is actually a serious one. Therefore, it is just right to learn and understand it more. In this article, we are going to discuss further sleep apnea. We are also including some of the most essential treatments for sleep apnea, and some other necessary facts about it. Give this article a read to learn more!
Sleep Apnea: What is this condition?
The sleep apnea is a sleeping condition wherein your own breathing stops time after time and starts while sleeping. In a statistics, about 12 million Americans suffer from this condition. What’s shocking in here is that at least half of them are overweight! Moreover, sleep apnea is more common in men than in women. It usually affects people after the age of sixty.
If you tend to snore extremely at night or the one you are with tells you that you really do or you experience daytime fatigue although you had a full night sleep, then you should consult your doctor. This is for the reason that the aforementioned symptoms may indicate sleep apnea. Those who are suffering from sleep apnea commonly stop breathing for ten to twenty seconds for a period of time. This may happen twenty to thirty times every hour while you are sleeping. Scary AF, isn’t it?
Types of Sleep Apnea
There are 2 major types of sleep apnea, and they are as follows:
- Central Sleep Apnea: this particular type of sleep apnea may occur in the event that the brain is not sending proper signals into the muscles that control the breathing.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: this is the common type of sleep apnea. It occurs in the event that the muscles in the throat relax.
Even though there is a strong evidence that the sleep apnea is one of the main contributors to the onset of some inflammation like gout, there are just a few things done to screen those who suffer from gout for sleep conditions when diagnosed initially.
Moreover, the lack of oxygen in the brain or body, or Chronic Hypoxia promotes the excess levels of uric acid in the blood. Additionally, sleep apnea may lead to some other potential life-threatening conditions like stroke, liver conditions, high blood pressure, kidney disease, and heart disease. What is more interesting here is that both the sleep apnea and gout are frequently listed as causes of metabolic syndrome, heart conditions, and kidney conditions.
Treatments for Sleep Apnea
The most common of all the methods of treating sleep apnea is to continuously sleep each and every night. Not just sleep, you should wear a mask that provides incessant positive airway pressure. This may be a bit uncomfortable at first, but you will get used to it. Furthermore, you must also lose the excess weight that you have and make certain that you exercise regularly. This will make a big difference in sleep apnea.
Before sleeping at night, what may also help you is drinking hot milk or tea, if you prefer. And then drink passionflower or valerian tea to relax and calm yourself. I, myself do this occasionally. You should keep this thing on the check! Be well aware of the things you do, the foods you eat and the lifestyle that you have.
Home Treatments for Sleep Apnea
Various traditional treatments for sleep apnea include wearing a CPAP mask every night. Even though it is effective, some people find it so uncomfortable. Some home treatments for sleep apnea may offer the very same benefits. Here are some of the most essential treatments for sleep apnea:
- Avoid smoking and alcohol. Lifestyle changes may be beneficial in improving health and encouraging better sleeping habits. If you can, quit smoking and limit your intake of alcohol in order to reduce the complications of sleep apnea.
- Use a humidifier. These humidifiers are essential in adding moisture to the air. Remember, dry air may irritate the body, as well as the respiratory tract. The use of a humidifier may open the airways, reduce congestion, and encourage clearer breathing.
- Sleep position. Even though a small lifestyle change, just like altering the sleeping position may reduce the symptoms of sleep apnea, as well as improve the rest at night. Discuss your own sleep apnea symptoms and body positioning with your doctor to evaluate the options for treatment.
- A regular exercise may increase the energy levels, strengthen the heart, and improve the symptoms of sleep apnea. Yoga, specifically, may help in improving the strength and encourage the oxygen flow.
- Maintain a healthy weight. It is common that doctor recommends those who suffer from sleep apnea to lose weight. Specifically, obesity may increase the risk of the obstruction of airways and the narrow nasal passages. These particular obstructions may cause the sudden stopping of breathing or for a long time while sleeping.
There are some other treatments for sleep apnea. If you experience this condition, try searching for some other possible treatments if the abovementioned treatments does not work for you.