Have you seen or tried gochujang before? Well, if you have already tried bibimbap or kimchi before, then there is a good chance that you have already tried this gochujang. Gochujang is actually a spicy paste, which is common in various types of Korean food. Aside from it brings a unique flavor to various dishes, it is also oozing with so many health benefits. These health benefits of gochujang are all for the betterment of the overall health. For instance, it is good for the heart, may help in stabilizing the blood sugar levels, and is rich in antioxidants. Get to learn more about the gochujang, read on to this article!
Gochujang: What is this?
The Korean red chili pepper or the gochugaru is the major ingredient that is found in both kimchi and gochujang. It actually comes from the ground Korean gochu. Gochu is a kind of pepper that is responsible for the unique flavor and spicy taste of this Korean dishes and staples. In today’s day and time, the gochuharu is the main ingredient in the Korean cooking. In fact it is so valuable -from spring rolls up to gochujang up to marinades, and many others. Gochu may be beneficial in adding a burst of blazing flavor to dishes of all kinds.
The gochujang or the red chili paste is actually a fermented condiment, which is valuable in different Korean cuisine. Furthermore, it is popular for its unique flavor that is spicy, savory, and sweet at the same time. The usual ingredients of the gochujang or the red chili paste may include barley malt powder, fermented soybean powder, mejutgaru, salt, glutinous rice, and the red chili powder.
This particular condiment is available in various levels of spiciness basing on the unvarying measure known as the Gochujang hot taste unit or GHU. The gochujang products may range from mild hot up to extremely hot.
Gochujang is often used in spicing up salads, meat dishes, and stews. It may also be available in traditional Korean dishes like the bibimbap. The bibimbap or bi bim bap is a famous Korean food that usually contains rice and topped with gochujang, soy sauce, fermented soybean paste, and vegetables. It also comes with slices of beef and eggs.
In addition to its uniquely rich flavor and versatility, the gochujang is also rich in various valuable compounds, which may confer various powerful benefits to the health.
Uses of Gochujang
The gochujang is so versatile and may be a great addition to various dishes. You may use it as a marinade in making gochujang chicken for a stir-fry. Or maybe, you can put it in with some seafood and vegetables for a delicious gochujang soup. You may also mix it up and make a delightful gochujang dipping sauce. Otherwise, you may use this spicy ingredient or condiment to make some stews. Salad dressing, roasted vegetables, or a sauce for bibimbap.
Worry less about where you can buy this condiment. Due to its popularity, it is not that hard to buy them on grocery stores now. Therefore, you will not need to worry in looking out for some easy way in adding it into the diet.
Health Benefits of Gochujang
Here are some of the most enticing health benefits of gochujang:
- Possesses antioxidants. We know that antioxidants are potent compounds present in the foods. These may act in neutralizing the harmful free radicals. The antioxidants in gochujang not only help in reducing the risk of cancer and heart disease, but it also reduces the risk of chronic inflammation.
- Helps in reducing the blood sugar levels. The gochujang is beneficial in maintaining the normal blood sugar levels. This is all thanks to the capsaicin in it, which reduces the levels of blood sugar.
- Helps in increasing metabolism. The components in the gochujang are beneficial in speeding up the metabolism. This is essential in losing weight more effectively. This is the best among the health benefits of gochujang, especially to those who want to lose some weight.
- Helps in preventing heart illnesses. A study shows that the gochujang is beneficial for reducing the number of triglycerides in the body as well as the bad cholesterol. This just means that it is essential in preventing heart conditions.
- Helps in stimulating the fat loss. Aside from it adds a punch to the flavor of various dishes, it is also beneficial in making you lose some fat in your body. In fact, it may act as a natural fat burner.
Precautions in Gochujang
You must avoid gochujang if you’re allergic or have a sensitivity to any of the ingredients in it. If you happen to experience symptoms like swelling, itching, or hives after the consumption, stop using it immediately and consult your doctor.
The levels of capsaicin in the gochujang is usually safe for consumption. Nevertheless, high amounts of capsaicin may cause some adverse effects like nausea, diarrhea, and stomach pain for some people. Hence, enjoy it in moderation.
Moreover, also bear in mind that spicy foods may also cause acid reflux. If you happen to experience negative symptoms after the consumption of spicy foods, you should avoid it.