Even though a lot of people are familiar with the term ‘cola’, they may not realize that it actually came from the genus Cola. This genus includes the kola tree, wherein the kola nut comes from. The kola nut, a powerhouse of various essential nutrients that are beneficial to your overall health, has the ability to increase circulation, improve cognition, raise energy levels, boost immunity, prevent various types of cancer, aid in weight loss, increase heart rate and optimize digestion, among other things. Give this article a read and learn more about the kola nut!
Kola Nut: What is It?
Table of Contents
The kola nut is a nut that comes from the kola tree of the Cola genus. This particular tree is actually native to Africa’s tropical rainforests. It contains caffeine, which is what makes the kola nut desirable as both an element in alternative medicine and a food source for various cultures all over the world.
Furthermore, kola nuts are beneficial as flavoring agents in sodas of various varieties. This is actually where the term ‘cola’ came from. Kola nuts are also often eaten or chewed in some traditional ceremonies. Even though the most common application is as a flavoring agent, the medicinal benefits of kola nuts have started to make them a very popular dietary supplement for health. In spite of its bitter taste, kola nuts are available in many varieties of energy drinks, performance enhancers and dietary supplements.
The kola nut is actually a cultural staple in several West African countries. Furthermore, it is valued for its effects as a stimulant for the central nervous system. All over West Africa, almost every market, corner shop and bus depot has small heaps of kola nuts for sale. It is an important cash crop for poor rural farmers. A lot of people also chew them every day for a daily dose of caffeine. Each nut contains more caffeine than two huge Americano coffees.
In the United States and various western countries, you can encounter kola nut extract more often than fresh nuts. This is because the extract is what they use as a flavoring in Pepsi Cola and Coca-Cola, among other popular soft drinks and energy drinks.
Nutritional Value of Kola Nuts
Kola nuts have caffeine in them, which acts as an antioxidant for the body. It also has a small amount of theobromine, which helps increase energy levels in the body, and betaine, which helps protect the formation of DNA. Finally, kola nuts contain protein.
Industrial Uses of Kola Nuts
The mini kola nut is beneficial in various beverages as a flavoring agent. This is why it has gained popularity in commercial industries. It is also valuable in making chocolate bars. The kola nut has some importance in the medicinal field due to a wide range of valuable properties. These nuts are also the traditional fruit of West Africa served very frequently.
Health Benefits of Kola Nuts
Here are some of the most extravagant health benefits of kola nuts:
- Aids in losing weight. Even though caffeine is an appetite suppressant, kola nut extract may also increase the fat-burning process in the body. This is probably due to its potentially great impact on your metabolism.
- Helps boost immunity. The stem, leaves and roots of the kola tree possess impulsive compounds which may help prevent bacterial infections in the body. These bacterial infections include those responsible for a wide array of respiratory conditions like tuberculosis, meningitis and bronchitis.
- Helps prevent prostate cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of kola nuts. Though research is still ongoing, and still a matter of debate, some phytoestrogens and phytoestrogens in kola nuts are essential in stimulating the apoptosis in prostate cancer cells.
- Helps improve digestion. The active ingredients in kola nuts are essential in improving nutrient uptake and digestion while simultaneously reducing cramping, bloating, constipation and constipation, among other serious gastrointestinal conditions.
- Helps increase blood circulation. Kola nuts are essential in stimulating the heart rate and increasing circulation. They boost oxygenation to various vital parts of the body, including the brain, organs and skin.
- Helps boost metabolism. Due to their high level of caffeine, they are essential in stimulating the body and increasing the heart rate. While this may be dangerous to those who suffer from heart conditions, it can also provide an important boost to those who have a slow metabolism.