In this article, we are going to discuss the wholesome health benefits of milk thistle. Can it really be beneficial for the overall health? Give this article a read and you will get to know the answer! Worry less, because you will surely learn a lot from this article! Sit back, relax, and enjoy the read!
What is Milk Thistle?
Also known as the Silybum marianum, milk thistle is an herbal plant that comes from the very same plant family as a daisy. The milk thistle actually grows in the Mediterranean countries and is beneficial in making various natural remedies for various conditions.
This particular prickly plant has very distinctive purple flowers and white veins. Traditional stories say that a drop of the Virgin Mary’s milk onto the plant’s leaves causes these white veins. Moreover, the active ingredients in the milk thistle are a group of plant compounds that are collectively known as the silymarin.
The herbal remedy of the herb is what they usually call as the milk thistle extract. The milk thistle extract has a high level of silymarin, which has been concerted from the plant itself. Moreover, the silymarin that’s extracted from the milk thistle is known to have antiviral, antioxidant, as well as anti-inflammatory properties.
In the actual fact, it has been beneficial to treat various gallbladder and liver conditions. It also helps in promoting breast milk production, protect the liver from alcohol, environmental poisons, snake bites, etc., and even prevent and treat various type of cancer.
The different parts of the milk thistle plant may be beneficial in treating various health conditions, the most common of which is the liver problems. In addition, some claim that milk thistle may treat:
- Gallbladder conditions
Some other possible health benefits of the milk thistle include protecting the heart health, managing type 2 diabetes, as well as gout.
Health Benefits of Milk Thistle
Here are some of the most astounding health benefits of milk thistle:
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The milk thistle may be beneficial in strengthening the immune response or the immune system of a person. Not just that, it is also beneficial in the fighting of various infections in the body system.
- Helps in improving the cognition. A 2015 study suggests that the milk thistle helps in increasing the resistance of the oxidative stress. We know that the oxidative stress is one of the potential cause of Alzheimer’s disease. In this particular way, the milk thistle may really be beneficial in improving the cognition and treat various degenerative conditions, which may affect the mind.
- Helps in supporting the bone health. The milk thistle may play an essential role in supporting the bone health. One study in 2013 suggests that the milk thistle is really beneficial in the prevention of bone loss.
- Helps in limiting the spread of cancer. This is one of the best health benefits of milk thistle. It is beneficial in stopping the spread of various types of cancer. In the actual fact, one study in 2016 suggests that the milk thistle extract is essential in inhibiting the growth of cancerous cells in colorectal
- Helps in improving the symptoms of allergic asthma. The active ingredients present in the milk thistle are beneficial in reducing inflammation. As a matter of fact, a study in 2012 states that the silymarin in it is beneficial in protecting against the inflammation in the airways of mice who has allergic asthma.
- Helps in reducing the insulin resistance. One study on mice suggests that the milk thistle is beneficial in reducing the insulin resistance. Remember, the insulin resistance is a problem for those who have type 2 diabetes.
Other Health Benefits of Milk Thistle
- Helps support weight loss
- Help reduce the cholesterol levels
- Promotes skin health
- Helps in supporting the liver health
- Help treat acne
- May lower blood sugar levels
How to Use Milk Thistle
The milk thistle is available as a supplement from various health food stores. There is actually no standard dose of the milk thistle. Therefore, it is the best to read the proper dosage that is suggested in the package. Furthermore, the milk thistle is also available in tea form. If you drink this tea, you must limit your intake of it to just 6 cups every day.\
Considerations in Taking Milk Thistle
The Food and Drug Administration in the US does not actually regulate the milk thistle as a supplement. They treat it the same as the organization regulates drugs. Due to this reason, it is very important too but the milk thistle from various reliable retailers.
Furthermore, the same as any other natural remedy, people must discuss using milk thistle with a specialist before consuming it. This is for the reason that it may interact with various medications that you take. More particularly if a person is already receiving treatments for liver conditions.