Does high blood pressure make your life a whole lot of mess? Do you suspect that your cholesterol levels are draining your life’s vitality and energy? What if I tell you that there is an ingredient, which may help you in combatting the said issues, as well as some other common illnesses? I am talking about the molokhia leaves. This rare vegetable is popularly used for all of its amazing health benefits. If you want to know more about the health benefits of molokhia, give this article a read. Worry less, because you will definitely learn a lot from this article.
Molokhia: What is this?
Table of Contents
Molokhia is actually the only name given to the dozens of Corchorus species of this leafy plant. It is generally used in various Middle Eastern and Egyptian cuisine. Furthermore, it is also popular as mloukhiya, molohiya, mulukhiyah, and some other translations, varying on wherever in the world you are using this valuable vegetable. Moreover, the historical use, as well as the bitter taste of this vegetable might be the reason why it is not that common worldwide. Nevertheless, the consistency and taste of it aren’t much different than the okra and some other cruciferous vegetables. When you are to boil molokhia, it makes a sort of broth, which makes it a common ingredient in various soups.
The molokhia originally comes in Egypt, yet has since spread all throughout the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean region. Furthermore, it is only beginning to appear in various parts of the world, specifically in the exotic import stores. Fascinatingly enough, varying on the national cuisine you’re sampling, you might find molokhia being beneficial in a lot of ways, just as a flavoring agent, spices, garnishes, curries, soups, and salads. Nevertheless, its versatility is not the only reason why it is so popular.
Irrespective of if, it is the first of the five hundredth time that you are consuming molokhia, there are some other ways that you can consume it aside from making a soup. As a matter of fact, you can use it in making salads, garnishes, etc. there are a lot of ways to enjoy this very healthy vegetable.
There are about 30 vitamins and minerals in molokhia, as well as various organic compounds, which significantly contribute to the overall health. Let’s take a look at some of these essential nutrients.
Nutritional Value of Molokhia
The most noticeable nutritional value of molokhia includes selenium, phosphorus, magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, niacin, and fiber. Not only that, but it also has vitamin C, vitamin A, vitamin K, and vitamin E. Furthermore, it also has antioxidant elements and antioxidant carotenes. These make the vegetable well-rounded and highly beneficial for the overall health and into the diet.
Every 216 grams of molokhia contains the following essential nutrients:
|Principles||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total lipids||8.6 grams||–|
|Total carbs||5 grams||–|
|Dietary fiber||2.7 grams||11%|
Health Benefits of Molokhia
Here are some of the most interesting health benefits of molokhia:
- Aids in the growth and development. In terms of growth and development, almost all vitamins and minerals are needed in one form or another. Magnesium, specifically, is significant in the formation of new organic material. Therefore, the high level of it in molokhia is essential in ensuring the proper growth and development of children.
- Helps in reducing inflammation. The vitamin E in molokhia is essential as an anti-inflammatory agent for the body. If you are suffering from inflammatory diseases like gout or arthritis, adding molokhia in the diet could be great.
- Helps in improving bone Molokhia is specifically astounding as it has a wide range of trace and essential minerals. This is what makes it one of the best vegetables available in markets for increasing bone health.
- Helps in boosting the immunity. The combination of vitamin A, C, and E makes molokhia essential in increasing the strength of the immune system. These essential vitamins are also beneficial in making the immunity stronger in fighting against infections and conditions.
- Aids in heart health. Even though blood pressure reduction is now on the positive side of the side effects of molokhia, its rich fiber content also helps in balancing the cholesterol levels. This is one of the best health benefits of molokhia.
- Helps in improving digestion. The dietary fiber in molokhia is essential for the regulation of the digestive processes. Just like most of the leafy vegetables, molokhia is rich in dietary fiber. This just means that molokhia may help in optimizing the digestive processes through eliminating constipation, bulking up the stool in order to speed up the digestion.
There are some reports that suggest molokhia causes allergic reactions to those who consume it. Nevertheless, as always, before you add something new in your routine, you speak up to your doctor first. This is to avoid any complication with the consumption of molokhia.