Have you heard of or seen teff before? I am talking about the small grain that possesses a long list of health benefits. This particular grain is not just a good ingredient in various dishes, it is also a powerhouse of nutrients which make it very beneficial for your health. If you want to know more about this, as well as other facts about rye flour, feel free to give this article a read. Don’t worry, because you are sure to learn a lot from this article. So sit back, relax and enjoy the read!
Teff: What Is It?
Teff minute, gluten-free grain which possesses a lot of health benefits. It is a species of lovegrass native to the country of Ethiopia, where it is an important grain used in making keyta or injera. Teff is also valuable in Australia, India and the US, particularly in the states of Kansas and Idaho.
Somewhere between 8000 BC and 5000 BC, the people from the Ethiopian highlands were amongst the first to tame animals and plants for food. Guess what? Teff was actually one of the earliest plants to be domesticated! As a matter of fact, teff is believed to have originated in Eritrea and Ethiopia somewhere between 4000 BC and 1000 BC.
In today’s day and age, the grain is attaining popularity in the United States, as it is a gluten-free option which boasts a lot of health benefits. It is popularly used to help naturally balance hormone levels, aid in weight loss, promote cardiovascular health, strengthen the bones, stimulate digestion and boost immunity.
Nutritional Value of Teff
Teff seed is tiny. In fact, it only measures less than one millimeter in diameter. Hence, a handful of teff is enough to plant across a large area. Moreover, teff is a fiber-rich food, as well as a good source of protein, calcium, iron and manganese. The range of vitamins and minerals in it actually contribute to its role as a bone-strengthening, weight managing healthy food.
One cup of teff (cooked) contains:
|Principles||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Dietary fiber||7 grams||–|
|Vitamin B6||0.24 milligrams||12%|
Health Benefits of Teff
Here are some of the most interesting health benefits of teff:
- High source of protein. Protein is actually essential in keeping the metabolism running, the energy up and the blood sugar levels stable. Without sufficient protein food sources in the diet, there might be an increase in the risk of having an amino acid deficiency. This may lead to low memory and concentration, trouble building muscle mass and low energy.
- Helps manage diabetic symptoms. Teff helps release insulin into the bloodstream. There is an ample amount of manganese in it, which is helps with the proper production of digestive enzymes, which are responsible for gluconeogenesis.
- Helps support cardiovascular health. The consumption of teff may help naturally lower blood pressure levels. It also helps reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack. Moreover, teff is rich in vitamin B6, essential for maintaining healthy blood vessels and reducing the risk of various heart conditions.
- Aids in digestion. Due to its high content of fiber, it is valuable in regulating the digestive system. As a matter of fact, it works as a laxative. This grain is beneficial in naturally relieving constipation, gastrointestinal conditions, cramping and bloating.
- Supports bone health. Teff is a good source of manganese and calcium, therefore, it is beneficial in the promotion of bone health. Calcium-rich foods are vital for the bones to congeal properly.
- Helps boost immunity. Teff is rich in B vitamins and important minerals. These are all beneficial in boosting the immune system. This is one of the greatest health benefits of teff.
Possible Side Effects of Teff
There is no doubt about the nutritious benefits of teff, especially when you consume it as part of a healthy diet. It is actually a great alternative to wheat and is beneficial for the health in so many ways. If you are new to it, you will surely love the texture and the flavor of this Ethiopian grain. However, as with everything, you must consume teff in moderation. As we all know, anything in excess is not good for the health. Nevertheless, teff is an amazing grain with a lot of health benefits that affect your overall health.