With trying to attaining optimum health status, it is very important to follow a healthy and beneficial diet plan that incorporates healthy and nutritious foods full of essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Well, one of the most rewarding nutrients to include in this diet is silicon.
Silicon is actually a beautifying mineral, yet it also possesses various health benefits, strengthening bones and connective tissues. Not only that, it’s also an important part of hair, nail and skin care. These are not the only health benefits of silicon. There is more to it than meets the eye! Give this article a read, and you will learn much more about this essential mineral.
Silicon: What is It?
Silicon is the second most available element present in the Earth’s crust, present in sand and clay and various kinds of rocks, such as quartz and granite. It is actually one of the most important elements, used in semiconductors and high technology devices. Furthermore, it is an important trace mineral required by the body to maintain flexible and strong joints, stronger bones and glowing skin.
Silicon is present in the human body in the form of a salicylic or silanates acid derivative. Not only that, it’s also an important part of any diet plan, as it helps increase the overall effects of calcium, glucosamine and vitamin D.
Silicon is a naturally occurring mineral, found in a lot of foods such as coffee, beef, water and vegetables. Supplements are also beneficial in the field of medicine, with some people taking it orally to treat weak bones, stroke, and heart disease.
Nevertheless, do not confuse silicone and silicon, as they have very different meanings. Silicone, which contains silicon and other chemicals such as oxygen, is the name given to a certain group of synthetic materials which resemble plastic. Silicone is used to make medical tubing, breast implants and a variety of other medical devices.
Sources of Silicon
High amounts of this particular mineral are mainly found in hard water as opposed to soft water. The most significant sources of silicon are:
- Unrefined cereals
- Unrefined grains
- Almond nuts
- Raw cabbage
Health Benefits of Silicon
Here are some of the most magnificent health benefits of silicon:
- Helps prevent aluminum toxicity. There a high levels of aluminum in the brain lesions of those who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease, now an issue in the medical field. Luckily, by bonding with aluminum, silicon may help prevent its absorption in the gastrointestinal tract. This is also essential to reduce the symptoms of aluminum toxicity.
- Helps promote healing. Silicon is essential in protecting against various diseases such as tuberculosis. It also helps speed up the healing rate of fractures.
- Helps restore mucosa. The health benefits of silicon include restoring the respiratory tract’s mucosa, especially if the body is suffering from dehydration.
- Helps prevent atherosclerosis. Silicon supplements are essential in reducing the formation of plaque. Remember, cholesterol plaques are responsible for the hardening of arteries in atherosclerosis, which may cause a stroke and/or heart attack.
- Helps prevent brittle nails. Silicon is plays an important role in the maintenance of nail health. In fact, it is capable of making the nail stronger and providing the nail bed with essential nutrients, helping prevent problems such as brittle nails and infections.
- Helps treat alopecia. The thinning of hair, or alopecia, may be treated with silicon. This particular mineral is essential in encouraging the growth of thick, healthy hair. This is one silicon’s best health benefits.
- Helps strengthen bones. Silicon plays an important role in assisting calcium to grow and maintain strong, flexible bones and joints. It further encourages flexibility by increasing collagen in the bones.
Symptoms of Silicon Deficiency
Silicon deficiency symptoms are actually deceptive, as they are closely associated with connective tissues. Some of the symptoms of a lack of silicon in the body include the following:
- Formation of wrinkles in the face
- Brittle nails
- Thinning hair
- Weaker bones
There is no denying that silicon is truly essential for the overall health. Its benefits are proof enough that it is an important part of any diet, so watch what you are eating and make sure it is present in your diet!