With the aim of attaining an optimum health status, it is very important to follow a healthy and beneficial diet plan. In that particular diet, you will also need to incorporate some healthy and nutritious foods that are necessary to contain or possess essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. These are all essential for the achievement of a great optimum health. Well, one of the most beneficial nutrients that the diet needs is the silicon. Actually, silicon is a beautifying mineral, yet it also possesses various health-benefiting prowess. In fact, it helps in strengthening the bones and connective tissues. Not just that, it is also beneficial for the hair, nail, and skin care. These are not the only health benefits of silicon, there is more to it than meets the eye. Give this article a read and you will get to learn more about this essential mineral.
Silicon: What is this?
Table of Contents
Silicon is the second of the most available elements present in the Earth’s crust. It is actually one of the most important elements, which is used in semiconductors and high technology devices. Furthermore, it is an important trace mineral that is required by the body for flexible and strong joints, stronger bones, and glowing skin.
Moreover, it is also present in the human body in the form of salicylic or silanates acid derivative. Not just that, it is also important for the diet plan as it helps in increasing the overall health benefits of calcium, glucosamine, and vitamin D. this particular element is present in sand and clay, and may also exist as the main part of various kind of rocks, like quartz and granite.
Furthermore, silicon is a naturally occurring mineral. A lot of foods, like coffee, beef, water, and vegetables contain silicon naturally. The silicon supplements are also beneficial in the field of medicine. In the actual fact, some people take this mineral through the mouth, in order to treat weak bones, stroke, and heart disease.
Nevertheless, do not confuse yourself with the silicone and the silicone. They are of different meaning. As a matter of fact, silicone is the name that is given to a certain group of materials, which resembles plastic that contains the silicon, and some other chemicals, like oxygen. The silicone is actually used in making medical tubing, breast implants, as well as a variety of some other medical devices.
Sources of Silicon
The high amount of this particular mineral is mainly found in the hard water, rather than in the soft water. The most significant sources of silicon are the following:
- Unrefined cereals
- Unrefined grains
- Almond nuts
- Raw cabbage
Health Benefits of Silicon
Here are some of the most magnificent health benefits of silicon:
- Helps in preventing aluminum toxicity. The high levels of aluminum in the brain lesions of those who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease is now an issue in the medical field. Good thing, the silicon, through the bonding with aluminum, may help in preventing the absorption of it in the gastrointestinal tract. This is also essential in the reduction of the symptoms of aluminum toxicity.
- Helps in promoting healing. The silicon is essential in protecting against various diseases like tuberculosis. Furthermore, it also helps in increasing the healing rate during the fractures.
- Helps in restoring mucosa. The health benefits of silicon include the restoring of the respiratory tract’s mucosa, especially if the body is struggling from dehydration.
- Helps in preventing atherosclerosis. The silicon supplement is essential in reducing the formation of plaque. Remember, the cholesterol plaques are the ones responsible for the hardening of the arteries in atherosclerosis, which may cause stroke and heart attack.
- Helps in preventing brittle nails. The silicon is essential in playing an important role in the maintenance of the nail health. In fact, it has the capacity to make the bail stronger and provide the nail bed with essential nutrients. Not just that, it is also beneficial in preventing problems like brittle nails and infections.
- Helps in treating alopecia. The thinning of the hair or alopecia may be treated with silicon. This particular mineral is essential in encouraging the growth of the thick, healthy hair. This is one of the best health benefits of silicon.
- Helps in strengthening the bones. Silicon plays an important role in assisting the calcium for maintenance, flexibility, and growth of bones and joints. Furthermore, it also induces the flexibility by way of increasing the collagen in the bones.
Symptoms of Silicon Deficiency
The silicon deficiency symptoms are actually deceptive as they are close in association with the connective tissues. Some of the symptoms of the lack of silicon in the body may include the following:
- Formation of wrinkles in the face
- Brittleness of the nails
- Thinning of the hair
- Weaker bones
There is no denying that silicon is truly essential for the overall health. The health benefits of silicon are the proofs that you really need it in your health. Therefore, watch what you are eating and make sure it is present in your diet!