Pequi –have you heard of this before? Well, actually, this is a fruit that comes mainly from Brazil. It is valued for its unique taste, fragrance, and health-benefiting properties. Nevertheless, it may be daunting to eat it especially for those who aren’t used to seeing it. Regardless of that, this fruit possesses a lot of essential nutrients, which are all beneficial for the overall health. Not just that, these nutrients are also what make up all the necessary health benefits of pequi. These include the ability to boost hair health, treat various skin conditions, strengthen the vision, improve the digestive health, reduce the blood pressure levels, and decrease the body inflammation, among others. Give this article a read and get to learn more about pequi.
Pequi: What is this?
Pequi is actually one of the somewhat mysterious fruits, which people hear about, yet rarely see. Nevertheless, in the central regions of Brazil and the northern parts of Paraguay, the pequis are actually as normal as the oranges and apples. As a matter of fact, when pequi is fully ripe, a pequi is about the same size as the orange, even though the color of it changes from purple to dark green to light green as it becomes mature over the 5-6 months period of growth.
One of the more common names of pequi is souari nut. This is because the nuts of pequi are frequently eaten the same way as a lot of people eat the roasted peanuts. In the actual fact, in the local areas of Brazil where the pequi grows, the souari nuts are way more popular than the Brazil nuts.
Scientifically, they call the pequi fruit as the Ccaryocar brasiliense. Moreover, the yellow palatable pulp of it has a strange taste. In fact, it has a mixture of cheese and citrus fruits. Furthermore, the 1 to 4 pericarps in it meant that there isn’t too much pulp in the fruit. Moreover, the sharp pines that are on the inner seed of the fruit, entrenched in the mesocarp, may easily stick into the gums. Therefore, you need to be careful when you scrape off the pulp when you eat it.
In the actual fact, pequi is considered to be one of the most dangerous fruits to eat. Its inner seeds look like the Brazil nuts and are every so often roasted, just like peanuts. Generally, pequi fruit is famous due to the fact that it is a strong tree, which is easily pollinated by animals like bats. It is also easily accessible as it’s available locally.
Availability of Pequi
In the actual fact, there is not much of pequi fruit in the international market, yet Brazilians love it. Furthermore, there are some other countries who import the fruit varying on its demand. Moreover, the pulp mixes so well in protein as well as in chicken dishes. Not just that, it also compliments the flavor very nicely. However, just like a lot of foods that has ‘off’ taste, most people consider the pequi fruit as an attained taste.
Because of the relatively small spread or availability of pequi fruit, various scientific studies are fairly limited. Nevertheless, there has been sufficient number to reveal the amazing health benefits that come with this amazing fruit.
Nutritional Facts of Pequi
Just like most of the fruits, pequis are actually a good source of fiber. not just that, it is also rich in monounsaturated fats like oleic acid and linoleic acid, carotenoids, and even vitamin A. Furthermore, it also has stearic and palmitic acid, which are powerful types of organic compounds. This have a lot of positive effects on the health.
Health Benefits of Pequi
Here are some of the most marvelous health benefits of pequi:
- Aids in digestion. The fiber content of pequi is necessary for the betterment of the digestive health. This is by way of adding a bulk to the stool and in reducing the risk of constipation, diarrhea, cramping, and bloating.
- Aids in hair and skin health. The essential oil that comes from the pequi fruit is essential as a traditional moisturizer and shampoo. Moreover, the tocopherol in the fruit is also beneficial for the betterment of the skin and hair health.
- Improves the vision. The vitamin A content of the pequi fruit is high and may act as antioxidants, precisely in the ocular cells. This just means that when you eat pequi fruit, you may improve the vision by way of preventing cataracts and macular degeneration. These are often due to the free radicals.
- Helps in reducing blood pressure levels. The essential vitamins and minerals in pequi fruit are essential in relieving stress in the blood and help in relaxing them. This, then increase the blood flow and ease the heart pressure. This is one of the best health benefits of pequi, especially for those who have high blood pressure.
- Helps in regulating heart The stearic, linoleic, and oleic acid in the pequi fruit are essential for the improvement of the oxidization effects on the body. This means that there will be lesser cholesterol build up in the arterial walls and blood vessels. Thus protecting the cardiovascular system.