Have you ever seen blueberries? Have you tasted one before? Well, if you haven’t tried it yet, why don’t you give it a try? Aside from its amazingly delicious taste, blueberries are also a center of essential vitamins and minerals that are all beneficial for the health. In this article, we are going to discuss more the blueberries. Not just that, we are also going to add some of the most astounding health benefits of blueberries. If you want to know all of these and more, feel free to give this article a read –you will assuredly learn a lot from it!
Blueberries: What is this?
Botanically, the blueberries are a delicious shrub, which belongs to the Ericaceae plant family, in the Vaccinium genus. Generally, the species where the blueberries belong are classified based on their growth habit of being a high-bush or low-bush berries.
The blueberries may be tiny, but mind you, each of its serving may provide a serious punch when it comes to the nutrition. Frequently overshadowed and overlooked by a lot of exotic kinds of berries, the blueberries stay as one of the most antioxidant-rich, and most nutritious kinds of fruit in the whole wide world. In fact, it can do everything from enhancing the brain health to keeping the heart health strong. In addition to that, it is also capable of providing a lot of health benefits. More than anything else, let us not forget that this fruit is also sweet and very delicious.
Moreover, the wild blueberries grow across Southern Canada and in the East Coast of the US. There are also some varieties of the blueberries that are grown all over the world. The harvest season of the fruit is usually in May up to the mid-August. Even though this may vary according to the location you are at, as well as the type of blueberries that are existent in your place.
In order to acquire the necessary nutrients that the blueberries possess, you can eat it as is. Nevertheless, you can all also add these blueberries to various dishes to add more sweetness. You can try them on pancakes or even in baked goods in order to ramp up its antioxidant content. Otherwise, try spreading them over yogurt or oatmeal. Whatever you want to do with it, you will still get a sweet punch for your sweet tooth.
Nutritional Facts of Blueberries
The blueberries are nutrient-rich foods. This means that there are not a lot of calories in it, yet they are oozing with a good amount of essential vitamins and minerals. Moreover, the nutritional profile of the blueberries is exclusively high in vitamin C, manganese, vitamin K, and fiber.
A cup of raw blueberries contains about:
|Principle||Amount||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||0.33 grams||1%|
|Dietary Fiber||2.4 grams||6%|
|Pantothenic acid||0.124 milligrams||2.5%|
|Vitamin A||54 IU||2%|
|Vitamin C||9.7 milligrams||1.5%|
|Vitamin E||0.57 milligrams||4%|
|Vitamin K||19.3 micrograms||13%|
Apart from the aforementioned nutrients above, the blueberries also contain resveratrol, phytonutrients, anthocyanins, and pterostilbene. The nutritional values is what makes up all the health benefits of blueberries, which, by the way, will be discussed below.
Health Benefits of Blueberries
Here are some of the most amazing health benefits of blueberries:
- Helps promote heart A healthy heart is a key component of the overall health. The heart is responsible for the pumping of the blood throughout the blood vessels. Studies show that the consumption of blueberries may help in reducing some of the risk factors for heart disease, which may put a strain on the heart and force it to work much harder.
- Help support digestion. The fiber content of blueberries is beneficial in promoting the health and regularity of the digestion. Match your blueberry meals with water and physical activities –this will help you in keeping the digestive system work more efficiently.
- Helps in alleviating inflammation. Even though inflammation is a normal immune response which helps in protecting the body against illnesses, chronic kind of inflammation is one of the roots of most diseases. Due to the high content of antioxidant in blueberries, it is beneficial in alleviating the inflammation.
- Helps in fighting cancer. A study suggests that low-bush blueberry juice is beneficial in reducing the growth of various types of cancer, like breast cancer, intestine cancer, and prostate cancer, among others. This is one of the best health benefits of blueberries.
- Rich antioxidant properties. The blueberries are one of the best sources of antioxidants. These are essential in fighting off harmful free radicals and help in providing a lot of health benefits. As a matter of fact, antioxidants do not just prevent cell damage but also help in protecting against various types of chronic conditions.